PDA

View Full Version : Wolfganged Hennessey Viper

Jngrbrdman
05-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Now this was a fun job. :D I thought it was just a Viper, but apparantly it is a lot more than that. Check out the pictures in this album (http://groups.msn.com/jensphotos/1994dodgeviper.msnw?Page=1) and look at the plaque by the shifter. Its pretty cool. Motor Trend said it was the fastest production car they had ever driven. I guess its in a couple different magazines.

The real tragedy with this car is that the yellows don`t all match. The hood is carbon fiber and was painted. The vent things on the hood were painted a couple years later. The front lip was painted after that. And the doors were repainted for some reason or other. Anyway, I have learned that yellow is a lot like white and must be a very difficult color to match properly. You could tell that they were all different colors. He was impressed that I could point out the different pieces that were painted seperately. I thought it was kinda obvious, but I guess nobody else has mentioned it to him.

The car was basically already pretty clean. It is garaged most of the time for obvious reasons. This is a true blue roadster. No exterior door handles or windows in the door. So if you take it out for a spin then you better be sure its not going to rain because the top is in your garage. :lol With only 12,000 miles on the odometer it has obviously spent a lot of time in the garage. It was in really bad need of claying though. Man... talk about little brown dots all over the place... It was pretty bad. I guess taking it to a track now and then will do that to you.

I don`t know what detailer did this car last, but it was awful!! There was overspray all over the car from whatever greasy dressing he was using on the tires and interior. It was nasty. The tires were awful looking. I don`t know what they used, but it left this greasy white film all over the tires. Nasty stuff. That and the need for clay were really the two worst problems. I did DACP just to clear up the swirls and scratches that were on the paint, but they really weren`t bad at all. Everything came out and that surface is perfect now. :bigups

After DACP I hit it with the Wolfgang twins and finished off the interior and wheels/tires. It really looked a lot better. I am always impressed with Wolfgang no matter what color I put it on. I`ve had it on blue, yellow, silver, and beige now. So far I can say that I like it on metallic colors the best. It did look awesome on the Viper.

I am soooooo sorry for the pictures in that album. I know they are all in the shade or garage. Its not my fault. The light in the garage was soooo much better and it was overcast outside. Actually, it was snowing part of the time while I was detailing it. Stupid weather.... I took the best pictures I could just so I had something to work with if I ever put together an online portfolio or wanted to use the picture on a brochure or business card. I know they aren`t very fair pictures, but that is how it looked when I was done. It may be cheating, but you get the idea. I can`t wait to see the car again in the sun so I can take some more pictures.

Oh, by the way... that first picture of the mountains you can see where the house was. Its right under those clouds in the middle where it is snowing. I`m not joking. When I saw that I`m like...awwww, CRAP!! lol It was about a 40 degree detail but some things are worth it. It was quite the car and this is a good customer to keep happy. His M3 is next and then I`ll get to come back and finish up the Viper properly. Its definitely not in car show condition just yet, but it is 80% done. He wasn`t paying me to spend all day there so I just did as much as I could. He won`t be ashamed to drive it around once the weather clears up. :bigups

imported_Greg
05-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Make him take you for a spin!! Looks great man! That is one seriously fast car.

stilez
05-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Sick Shine!

That thing looked like hell before and muchhh better now, but you`re right...Yellow is hard to catch product attributes on, kinda like white. It came out amazing though. Some of those angles look quite tough to tackle. Did you use smaller pads?

What did you use on the rims and tires?

Please tell me you drove this !

Jngrbrdman
05-18-2004, 04:30 PM
I wish I got to drive it. Personally I think its a little too much car for me to handle. See how far it is out of the driveway? That is about as far as I dare drive it. lol

I use normal sized pads but I do use a little smaller backing plate. That makes it easier ot get around some of those areas.

I am hoping to lure this guy out to a show in July so he`ll give me another crack at that car. There are some areas that need a little toothpick attention, if you know what I mean. It has been such great weather since I did that job a few weeks ago that I know he has to have driven it a bit since. It only has like 12,000 miles on it so I know he doesn`t drive it too much. He just sold his M3 and the Expedition that were in the driveway and garage so maybe he has spent a little more time in it than usual. ;) I need to give him a call....

1 Clean WS6
05-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Good Gawd!! That thing looks like it`s going Mach 2.5 just sitting there!!:up :up

Sweet detail work!!

Scottwax
05-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Great work as always, Anthony!

I have to agree with you on Wolfgang, looks really good on any color...even white!

The finish on the Viper looks like it would glow in the dark!

Buick_guy
05-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Hmmmmm....the front end is wicked, but the back is really ugly. I don`t think I really like the wing, and trust me, I like wings.

Great job on the detail too.

Jngrbrdman
05-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Considering the power that this car has, and also considering the fact that it is a true roadster (no door handles and a top that is only meant to be put on for storage), I would say that wing is almost a necessity. Its cars like this that the wing was made for. That`s not an ebay spoiler. Hennessey put that there and I`m sure its there to keep that beast on the track. Other than the spoiler, hood and the front bumper everything else on that exterior is how it came from Dodge. The Viper first came out in 92 and this car is a 94 so I`m sure there have been improvements to the looks since then. Still, for a ten year old car I think it still looks really sporty. I`m not the biggest fan of the wing myself, but I can only imagine what it would be like driving the car at nearly 200 mph without it. :eek:

Thanks for the props. Sorry again for not having real pictures in the sun. There just wasn`t any sun that day. This was the type of light that really shows off light colors well. I just can`t say enough about how great Wolfgang makes everything look. You can see the transformation as you apply it. Its a really amazing product. :bigups

Jngrbrdman
02-17-2005, 10:24 AM
How cool is this? I was working on a car last night and the guy with the Viper calls me. Says he did some construction in his garage over the winter and the car is all dusty. :) So tomorrow I get another crack at it! :spot Too bad I just ran out of WG. I`ll have to hit it with some Liquid Souveran instead. This car spends 99% of its life in the garage anyway. I doubt the protection of a sealant is really necessary.

s2skimon
02-17-2005, 12:21 PM
another excellent wolfgang story..

nice work !