PDA

View Full Version : Melted rubber on my race car, how do I get it off?

JasonD
05-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Hey guys, I have a race car and after a day at the track I end up with all kinds of burnt up rubber behind my rear wheels. As soon as I got home, I tried washing it off just using normal car wash soap and a soft terry cloth towel. This got all the loose pieces of rubber off easily but left behind the greasy stuff that just smears. I was told by the guy that painted my car to use a tiny bit of laquer thinner to remove it, but apply all my paint sealers and finishers immediately after. What do you think? Is there a less abrasive way to do this, or should I just use it lightly and re-polish and wax the area?

The way I figure, if I use something too weak, I will be forced to rub harder on the paint which will just cause marring from the rubbing, whereas if I use a chemical with a little strength to it I should just be able to wipe it off with little to no pressure. I`m open to all suggestions. Thanks!

membim
05-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Try Poorboys Pro Polish.

EBPcivicsi
05-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by membim

Try Poorboys Pro Polish.

Yep, that would be my first choice as well.

If you want to try something locally, get your hands on a paint cleaner(meguiars DC#1 would work) or some 3M tar&adhesive remover. Both can be found at wal-mart

ben54
05-17-2004, 02:10 PM
I read a thread once that a car club was using PP to take rubber off the fenders of their race cars.

JasonD
05-17-2004, 02:15 PM
How do you recommend using it? By hand, rub on rub off type of deal or what?

MattZ28
05-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Same thing happened to me after some real smokey burnouts at the track.....bug & tar remover did the trick.

-Matt

NozeBleedSpeed
05-17-2004, 05:55 PM
I know this would be considered sacrilege to most on this site but Ive been peeling layers of rubber off of slicks from wheelwells for many years. Rubber can build very thick and harden like a Rhino Lining truck liner. If you really want to get the wells and lower paint clean of rubber strips, nothing works like WD-40. Yes....I said WD-40. WD-40 will penetrate the bond of the rubber. Once you get the rubber off, clean, wax and treat the wells with a petroleum based dressing. The petroleum will survive the waterbox and make rubber easier to remove, whereas a water based will disappear with the first burn out.

Also, next trip to the track, apply Geddex Burn-Out Gard to the rear area. It allows most rubber to be rinsed and rubbed away with just a little effort.

Flame away....:cool:

Bobby G
05-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Go get a gallon can of Goof-Off from your local Home Depot. It works like a charm and it costs less than WD-40.

eShine
05-17-2004, 06:37 PM
WD-40 works the best. I use it on my Mustang. After thw rubber is off then wash and polish the area.

JasonD
05-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Well, I think I`m going to try WD-40. I have a bunch of cans lying around in the shop so it`s worth a shot. Overall, the rubber came right off it`s just a few spots that the rubber got greasy and just smears.

imported_Spitshine
05-17-2004, 09:54 PM
To keep the rubber from sticking to the paint I`ve always used Pledge furniture polish on my lower rear quarter panel. Any rubber that might stick to the panel usually comes off with a hose. Just mist on a couple of layers before you go to the track. I`ve been doing this for years on my 540ci 67 Chevelle and the paint still looks perfect.

JasonD
05-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys, lots of great tips!

JasonD
05-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Spitshine and NozebleedSpeed,

Did either of you guys happen to go to Hattiesburg this weekend? Lots of 7 and 8 second cars out there running on 10.5 tires. Cool race. That`s where I was when I laid down a little rubber :)

imported_Spitshine
05-17-2004, 10:45 PM
I had to work this past weekend so I couldn`t go to Hattiesburg. I do most of my racing at "No Problem Raceway" and usually try to make the Super Ten races at Hattiesburg.

NozeBleedSpeed,

No Sunday progams at State Capitol Dragway anymore. They don`t have to many money races there anymore either since the new owner took over a couple of years ago.