PDA

View Full Version : Heavy heavy oxidation

Pages : [1] 2 3

ahunt01
05-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Hey everyone, I just bought a fiberglass tanau cover for my truck, and it has been sitting out in the guys yard for what looks like years. The oxidation is mega heavy. I tired using Mothers Cleaner wax and it`s helping just a little, but not much. I notice that alot of the paint is coming out on the rag, so I know he never had it clear coated.

At any rate, can you all recommend any good products to remove really bad oxidation? Would an abrasive compound like a 3M swirl remover be my best bet?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all :cool:

ahunt01
05-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Ok I`ve been looking at the Autopia CD I got from Dave.

How does going over the paint with 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing compound (Fine Cut, Paste)?

And then following up with 3M Perfect-It II Swirl Mark Remover OR 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material?:confused:

dcswd
05-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Im sure that the 3m steps that you saw would work. I dont have much experience with 3m though :(

I have tried out Einszett stuff though. Check out this restoration prcocess that they did. http://www.einszettna.com/sys-tmpl/scirrocorestoration/ They had some BAD oxidation.

General Lee
05-17-2004, 01:48 PM
John Kerry:down

Antonio Wright
05-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by General Lee

John Kerry:down

Please keep your political thoughts from Autopia. Thank you.

Iceman40
05-17-2004, 02:01 PM
I recently did a tonneau cover for a friend of mine, it was very heavily oxidized, he was getting ready to take it to a paint shop...Well i spent 3 hrs on it, and it looks better than the paint on his truck...I use dacp(#83) yellow pad, then merz ip with yellow pad, fp with a white pad and 2 coats of z2, i didnt have my digital camera with mee....But i saved him some money of getting it re-painted and it looks better than the paint on his truck....

ahunt01
05-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Cool, glad to hear of the good job! Well i went out to Pep Boys and picked up 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing compound and 3M Perfect-It II Swirl Mark Remover. Now I need to get the motivation to go outside and do the work lol.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-17-2004, 05:16 PM
i would go with Meg`s ColorX, hands down......

ahunt01
05-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Well I`m having very little lick with the 3M products. I`m doing this by hand, so I suppose it`s no wonder. I`m going to order a good chemical cleaner, I`m leaning towards AIO to do this.

SpoiledMan
05-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

i would go with Meg`s ColorX, hands down......

Gets my vote too.

imported_krsjuan
05-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Antonio Wright

Please keep your political thoughts from Autopia. Thank you.

then some one should tell ahunt01 to change his avatar. Thank You.

imported_krsjuan
05-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by ahunt01

Well I`m having very little lick with the 3M products. I`m doing this by hand, so I suppose it`s no wonder. I`m going to order a good chemical cleaner, I`m leaning towards AIO to do this.

what kind of cloth are you using? Before I got a pc I always had good luck using a 100% terry cloth towell folded into a 4in by 4in pad. AIO is also a good choice for removing oxidation I always think of that red pick-up truck that one of the members here did with just AIO. He did use a pc though. Any way, good luck.

ahunt01
05-18-2004, 02:42 PM
krsjuan, yeah I think the AIO will be a good choice from what I`ve been reading on here. I need to use it to remove very mild oxidation on the mirrors on my Civic, so I might as well try it on the truck cap. I`m using a terry cloth, and yeah I`d love to use a pc but I don`t trust myself lol, plus I don`t want to spend $100 bucks.

As far as my avatar goes, I`m pretty sure that I`m entitled to have a John Kerry Avatar. I`m not bashing anyone, and I`m not shoving my political views down anyone`s throat. I`m just proud to show my support for Mr. Kerry, just the same as if a Bush supporter would use a George Bush avatar.

BTW, I think this message board is better suited to have debates about which wax is better, not which presidential candidate is better... But I encourage everyone, regardless of your political affiliation, to show support for your candidate. But please keep it positive:bigups

Jngrbrdman
05-18-2004, 02:46 PM
I say screw the current canidates. Strong Bad for President!! :D

There are a lot of things you could use for oxidation. My personal favorite is AIO just because I have seen how well it has worked. I`m sure any abrasive product would clear off the oxidation too, but AIO seems to do the job just fine, so I haven`t really felt the need to use something else. I`m sure there are lots of products that could do just as good of a job, but I don`t think any could do a better one. When used with a PC I really haven`t come across any oxidation that AIO couldn`t clean off.

ahunt01
05-18-2004, 03:03 PM
How about when you use AIO without a PC? I think I saw a post of yours mentioning to Lynn that it would work good by hand as well.