PDA

View Full Version : Meg`s clay really kinda sucks.

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-16-2004, 06:37 PM
I do the clay and Klasse twins yesterday using WOO. Incredibly easy with WOO, Bill should get royalties everytime one of us do it for making it so easy.

Anyway I used the Megs Quik clay system. The clay really didn`t do much of a job picking up anything. I was thinking maybe I put too much lube, does that reduce the effectiveness of clay or does this clay just suck?

It picked up dirt but not tar spots(is it supposed to) and after I was done I did the baggie test and although smoother than before it wasn`t like glass.

What`s a dirty claybar supposed to look like? Is it just dirt or is there supposed to be particles? My paint is in good shape but it was pretty bumpy before I started with the bag test. I couldn`t find any particles on it when I`d go over a panel. I did reform the clay after every panel.

Jesstzn
05-16-2004, 07:49 PM
I usually pull the tar with Mineral Spirits first if there is any more than a trace. To me using clay to pull tar is just asking to have the sand in the tar scratch the finish. It takes just a minute to do and saves a lot of wear and tear on the clay.

No comment on Megs clay .. I have never used it.

SpoiledMan
05-16-2004, 08:02 PM
I have used the Meguiar`s clay and found it to be more than adequate when we used it at the Autopia Detail Day last week. We clayed a couple of cars that were pretty rough and it cleaned them up with very little fuss. It`s not as aggressive as the red clay I get from Car Aroma that is local to me but it is about equal to the green clay that I get from the same place though it is smaller.

ntoddalbert
05-16-2004, 08:02 PM
That clay sucks, Clay Magic or mothers will do much better. I concur with Jesstzn about the tar, use a bug and tar remover spray ,they make it so easy, spray on and wipe off..... at most its 3 bucks a can... It will strip wax so be sure to add something after.

Of all the Megs products I have ever used the only one I say is really bad is the clay, cant figure out why they havent fixed it. I would guess they are reluctant to make it any more aggressive as a non autopian might damage paint with it since they serve a broader market?

Good luck

Scottwax
05-16-2004, 08:09 PM
Meguiars has changed their clay....the white consumer version we used at the Autopia meet was notiably denser and performed very well. The previous white bar was pretty soft and useless, IMO. The Detailer clays have been revamped as well.

I agree with Dee and FalconGuy on the tar, use a dedicated tar remover instead of the clay bar.

Buick_guy
05-16-2004, 08:14 PM
So what is a good over the counter tar remover, that will do a good job.

I know my father used varasol on the lower half of the buick once, and there was a haze that tool me like 2 weeks to remove.

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Would bug and tar remover strip the SG I just put on or only wax?

Also, I don`t think I`ve ever seen Clay Magic at any stores. Anybody know who carries it in Canada?

NozeBleedSpeed
05-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Yep. Megs clay is pretty bad. Their D6100 pro bar smears, causing more cleanup that anything it removes. I like Mothers clay but I still think that Clay Magic is the best. Its available from an AutoMagic dealer in 200 gm bars in both mild blue and aggressive red for paint overspray.

ntoddalbert
05-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Not sure about the SG but definately would remove wax. Just to be sure why not reapply, more SG just looks better anyway....

Surprising as it is Turtle wax makes a great Tar and Bug remover.... but honestly they all work very well from my exp.

topnotchtouch
05-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

Yep. Megs clay is pretty bad. Their D6100 pro bar smears, causing more cleanup that anything it removes. I like Mothers clay but I still think that Clay Magic is the best. Its available from an AutoMagic dealer in 200 gm bars in both mild blue and aggressive red for paint overspray.

Meguiars has replaced all of their clays in both the consumer and detailer lines. Got a chance to use all of them at the recent Autopia Detail Day at Meguiars and they are greatly improved.

They just replaced the clay in the Quik Clay kit (you can tell if you have the new clay if the plastic wrapper on the clay is stamped with the Meguiars logo)

In the detailer line the new part numbers are C-2000 for the mild (blue) clay and C2100 for the agressive (red) clay

BillNorth
05-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Dan,

All I ever hear is how bad the Megs clay is, that`s why I`ve steered clear of it. If ou want good clay, go to CT and buy the mothers kit. It comes with clay, lube, and cleaner wax (which you don`t need). If you want just clay, call up UAP/NAPA and ask them to order some 3M Perfect it 3 cleaner clay. It is EXACTLY the same as the clay magic blue bar. It will only take one day for it to get to the store from the warehouse. I`ve used that as well and it is quite good.

As for tar, as has been said, use a dedicated tar remover. Don`t expect the clay to work miracles. Any auto specific brand name tar remover should work. CT should have some.

As for what your clay should like, well, my yellow mothers bar turned black on Saturday. Not totally black, but black enough.

And I`m glad WOO worked for you. Makes SG a total breeze...

Bill. :up

topnotchtouch
05-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by BillNorth

All I ever hear is how bad the Megs clay is, that`s why I`ve steered clear of it.

I was the same way. I have always used and loved the Mothers Clay bar kit. After trying the new clays from Meguiars there is a definite improvement.

JustinR32
05-16-2004, 08:55 PM
I, too, have tried the new Meg`s clay. I hated the old clay. The new Quik Clay is about the same as Clay Magic and Mother`s. There are minor differences, but all three work well.

Tom

NozeBleedSpeed
05-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by rjstaaf

Meguiars has replaced all of their clays in both the consumer and detailer lines. Got a chance to use all of them at the recent Autopia Detail Day at Meguiars and they are greatly improved.

Not surprising. Is it just me, or does it seem that Megs releases products, then they work on making it a good product. I have about 60 bucks worth of that old clay (3 months old that is) that I cant use and now they figure out how clay should really work. I mean its clay. Everyone else had it figured out with less means at their disposal.

Megs is now replacing their Detailer line with an all "new and improved" line. It may be that Megs is trying to be VOC compliant but other companies already have compliant products on the market.

Ive always defended Megs but Im done with it. I refuse to be a test pig for Megs all new line of prematurely released and unproven products, on my dime. Im out of space for anymore stuff on the back of my shelves for product not worth using. My patience and wallet cant take it anymore. I`ll just find a more stable line to use.

SpoiledMan
05-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

Ive always defended Megs but Im done with it. I refuse to be a test pig for Megs all new line of prematurely released and unproven products, on my dime. Im out of space for anymore stuff on the back of my shelves for product not worth using. My patience and wallet cant take it anymore. I`ll just find a more stable line to use.

One thing that I have found is that if you have a problem with their products, give their customer service guys a call and express it. They are pretty good about taking care of you.