PDA

View Full Version : F150 SCrew Finally Up To Autopia Spec

Pages : [1] 2

Sirslap2
05-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Some of you have seen my earlier posts on the 2001 SCrew that I picked up (only 37000kms).

The body did not have any dings (other than the once scraped up tailgate) but the paint was in horrendous condition.

It looked as though they were washing it with one of those long bristled nylon brushes - most were unidirectional.

I knew that with all the knowledge I have accumulated here that I could make it look new.

I had done the tailgate one day, the box sides on another and the fenders and hood on another day.

Because of the length of time it was taking I ordered up a Lake Country cutting pad from carcaresmart.com (excellent service by the way).

The pad thankfully arrived Friday and I put it to work today.

I changed things up a little from the other attacks - no Hand Polish this time but #9 instead.

So the PC was put to work with the following:

Clay with Clay Magic and Final Inspection

DACP with Lake Country cutting pad

DACP with Meguiars polishing pad

#9 SMR Meguiars with polishing pad

NXT with Lake Counrty buffing pad

Tons of MF`s!

I am much more pleased with these results. I am very glad I went back to #9 - my old standby.

Also the NXT was better with the PC - thanks for the tip Scottwax!

I wasn`t going to post pics but that is what makes this community really come alive so here are a few.

Either side of the cab took all day even with the cutting pad.

Before:

Sirslap2
05-15-2004, 09:29 PM
After:

Sirslap2
05-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Another

69Stang
05-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Simply Awesome! I have picked up a 2002 Screw just like yours, now I have a good example to follow. Very nice work indeed!:cool:

GearHead_1
05-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Truly a testament to SuperCrew owners everywhere. ;)

Nice job!

membim
05-17-2004, 01:14 PM
WOW! Great work!!!

SpoiledMan
05-17-2004, 01:44 PM
That is KILLER work man! It doesn`t even look to be the same truck. Come to think of it, I don`t believe you!! ;)

MattZ28
05-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Amazing. I showed my mom and she goes "That`s the same car!?!" :D

:up

Sirslap2
05-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by MattZ28

Amazing. I showed my mom and she goes "That`s the same car!?!" :D

:up

Actually no....it`s the same "truck" hehehe:D

Yobwoc can vouch for me as he saw it firsthand.

I had to use the flash to show the defects as it was a cloudy day and it didn`t show how bad it was.

I tried to flash the final but it just captured the flash with no defects.

The After is without flash to show reflection rather than just a bunch of light bouncing off the side of the truck.

The process was exhausting - even with the PC.

I can`t tell you how bad the paint was but I knew it was "fixable" when I purchased the truck and I am elated with the results.

tkajeff
05-17-2004, 08:12 PM
WOW, that is amazing. :bow

JasonD
05-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Deemo,

Do you think you could have gotten the same results using 1Z UPP, PP, & MPP?

Sirslap2
05-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Not really sure as I have stuck mostly with the favorites that were favorites when I first joined the board in `02.

The NXT was new for me and I will probably top it with P21S.

The main thing was the surface prep with DACP. Any other favorites that people here have after that would have yielded pleasing results.

I am somewhat old fashioned and don`t really have access to the other products you mentioned (Canada eh).

DaGonz
05-18-2004, 09:23 AM
That was a Lazarus project! Excellent work! :xyxthumbs

JasonD
05-18-2004, 12:32 PM
I am getting ready to do a car that looks just like the one you did, and am also working with a PC. Before getting into this board I just read the Autopia Guide To Detailing and he recommended the 1Z product line so that`s what I went with. I guess I will just have to see if I can get it as good as you did.

I have one other question for you. When using DACP with the PC, what speed did you have it set at and how did you work it in? Figure 8? Back and forth motions? Polish until it`s gone? Any tips would be great as I am going to try my hardest to follow in your footsteps. Great job!

Sirslap2
05-18-2004, 06:58 PM
I did pretty much what has been suggested on the board.

I keep the PC at 4.5 pretty much the whole time except for the wax which was at 1.5.

I went in a slow back and forth motion and then up and down working an area about 1.5-2.0 ft square and repeated the process.

The place I had stopped was definitely noticeable when I moved onto the next area.

The polish was pretty much worked to dry but I added more (see the DACP hazing comments) when it was necessary.