PDA

View Full Version : Getting static for rotary polishing new Z06

180fisherman
05-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Hi folks,

The guys over at my Corvette forum are giving me a hard time for polishing/waxing my Z06 so soon.

I applied PCL with my trusty 7424 P/C, then applied Souveran.

I have read many times on Autopia that modern car paints and clear coats are baked at high temp. so that they are basically cured they roll off the line.

I wanted to get wax protection on the finish, as when I washed it after buying it 3 days ago, there was no beading at all.

Is there anything unusual about a Corvette finish that would dictate waiting longer than 2 months from manufacture to rotary polish/wax it?

I didn`t clay it as Corvettes are delivered to the dealership with a plastic film covering the body to prevent rail dust, and it was smooth as silk before I got started.

thanks for the info..

Accumulator
05-15-2004, 06:04 PM
There is nothing wrong with using a PC/rotary/whatever or waxes/sealants/whatever on your new `vette. I did it on my C5 and plenty of dealerships use machines and those products to detail new Corvettes.

Some people just *love* to say you shouldn`t do this or that :rolleyes: Don`t worry about them, they don`t know what they`re talking about.

I`d still clay it though, most *all* cars are shipped in the plastic wrap, but ferrous deposits still find their way onto the paint. You sure don`t want rust-blooms showing up later from something too small to be noticed now.

LouisanaJeeper
05-15-2004, 06:55 PM
I would still clay, even with the film.

There is no problem waxing it as soon as you get it...the guys on the vette forum are probably just whiney b/c you did not use the Zaino all of them seem to have an infatuation with

Corey Bit Spank
05-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Being a Corvette, it probably isn`t painted at high temps, however there is usually a few weeks between delivery and production--you`re fine and those people are probably just looking to complain about something because your car looks better then theirs.

180fisherman
05-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Jeeper, you are very perceptive......

Zaino is all they talk about. I mentioned Souveran and you know what they said? "$70 for wax?"

And they have a point. Since a Corvette only costs a buck and a half, why should you spend a lot on wax?

I learned all about the magic of Souveran from the good folks at Autopia, and I`m never going back to polymers again.

Thanks for the advice folks. Your points regarding claying are well taken. i will get that done next month when the S wears off. Strip it down with Dawn and do it all over again!

thanks...:)

JustinR32
05-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Clay right over the Souv, TRDPWRD. No need to strip. Wash with a good car wash soap, then clay.

I work at a Chevy dealership. All the cars are waxed after PDI and before going onto the lot or into the showroom.

I`ve gone in on my day off and waxed the cars in the showroom because I didn`t like the job our cleanup dept did. Yup, waxed `em. They looked good, too.

I`ve been around new cars daily for almost 20 years, and they aren`t coming back with paint failure from being waxed too soon.

Tom