PDA

View Full Version : PC Removal

GO Dawgs
05-14-2004, 09:45 PM
Anyone remove wax or sealants with their PC if so what all do I need?

Also how do you know when it is time to replace your pads?

Nick Chronis
05-15-2004, 07:10 AM
Generally most polishes will remove your original coats of wax or sealants. Coupled with a good Dawn wash you should have a pretty virgin surface. A water/alcohol mixture is also pretty effective in stripping waxes and oils (by hand)

Accumulator
05-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Go Dawgs- If you mean buffing off the wax/sealants, all you need are some microfiber bonnets and something to put them over. Designs vary- some bonnets work over foam pads and others work over *wool* pads. I prefer the ones that work over foam, as the wool pads tend to get flattened out and thus require frequent replacement.

Overall, the best bet is probably the Ultimate Bonnets from Meguiar`s. I`ve used them to remove polishes, waxes, and sealants. Sometimes you still have to get that last 2% by hand, though or go over the area again with a fresh bonnet (often true with all MF bonnets). I use them over foam cutting pads, those pads seem to grip onto the backs of the bonnets very well.

The Ultra Suede MF bonnets from TOL (use over foam) are perhaps my favorites for removing *only* waxes and sealants, and I also like "The Max" MF bonnets from CMA for removing "light" sealants like KSG (use over wool).

I only replace my foam pads when they have problems with the velcro backing or when the foam is visibly worn (or otherwise crappy looking).