PDA

View Full Version : Using the PC on certain areas of the car?

imported_ChaoticBliss
05-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Just wondering how you guys use your PC on the tricky parts of your car (like the front bumper, around fog lights etc.). Is there some trick to doing these areas or do they need to be done by hand?

Thanks

tom p.
05-14-2004, 08:27 PM
it depends on how much smooth surface there is versus grilles and things like that. I get tired of cleaning up matte black surfaces.

Tip: Go to the 5" backing plate and a smaller pad when working tight area like this. You get a small advantage.

Accumulator
05-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Heh heh, I often do it the *other* way :D Some spots call for smaller pads, but others call for *bigger* ones.

I`ll use a larger pad that can fit into the hard-to-access areas, using its edge in many cases. I like the way a larger pad can slip under side-view mirrors, for instance, while the body of the machine stays safely away from anything it might bump.

BTW, using products that don`t stain trim can make this whole thing easier to deal with. And using *litle* product makes it easier too- no sling.

Sometimes you can use a piece of thin cardboard (the ones that come with my wife`s hosiery work great) to keep the pad off places where you don`t want it. If there`s a seam between the two areas, slip the cardboard into that seam and let the pad hit up against it. I used this on the S8 where I wanted to polish/seal the painted part of the bumper, but didn`t want to bother masking the black lower part.

But yeah, some spots you just have to do by hand.

Jesstzn
05-14-2004, 09:56 PM
I have my original 4" cordless I use on the bumpers etc. Its not a robust as the PC but better than by hand. It gets into most places.

TY Accumulator for the cardboard tip. Making mental note...

imported_Intermezzo
05-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Sometimes you can use a piece of thin cardboard (the ones that come with my wife`s hosiery work great) to keep the pad off places where you don`t want it. If there`s a seam between the two areas, slip the cardboard into that seam and let the pad hit up against it. I used this on the S8 where I wanted to polish/seal the painted part of the bumper, but didn`t want to bother masking the black lower part.

Awesome tip!!! Thanks! :xyxthumbs