PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Wax Part 2

Fleet
05-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Sorry to start another thread, but I have some more info in my request now, and the last thread came to a logical conclusion.

let me start over...

I need to wax my wife`s Exploder. It will be getting a trip to the body shop soon. She scraped the right front panel on the garage door, and the trunk is all scratched up from hitting the garage door when opening for groceries. :(

In addition to the deep scratches, the paint does not bead water in the rain at all.

I was thinking of throwing a quick and cheap coat of wax on to protect the paint. Would it be worth it to clay, clean the paint, then wax prior to the body shop? I will not be polishing by hand. My thoughts now are that I should try to get the paint the "correct" color before bodywork is done. My products of choice would probably be poorboys, or some other recommendations. Maybe I`ll try out AIO/S100. This car is dark grey in color.

Or would I be wasting time? I will be getting a PC/Cyclo in July. Then, I`ll polish and do the whole deal.

Thanks for any info.

ben54
05-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Hate to say that clay, polish, etc. is ever a waste of time, but I wouldn`t put too much work into the truck now. When my cars come back from the bodyshop for minor repairs, the car is covered with some sort of fallout or overspray. I think a good sealant or wax will help remove the overspray when it comes back. Hopefully it doesn`t happen to you, but its happened to me 3x already.

BTW - if the car does come back with overspray, consider removing it yourself with clay. When the dealer got my car back from the body shop with overspray, it immediately sent the car back to have the overspray removed. The bodyshop removed the overspray with a rotary which took off the overspray, but left swirls everywhere along with scratches in my chrome trim pieces.

imported_eggroll
05-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Waxing the area that is going to fixed is a waste or time, and just more work for the painters. I would just wait it out.

Fleet
05-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by eggroll

Waxing the area that is going to fixed is a waste or time, and just more work for the painters. I would just wait it out.

But would it be beneficial to clean the paint so that the color is more "pure" before it gets painted? Maybe I should throw a coat of AIO on?

ben54
05-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Do bodyshops still color match by looking at the car? I was under the impression that if it`s stock paint, the refinishing supplier already knows the color for the car. But I guess that`s the problem because variations appear during the mixing which can only be corrected by comparing to the original vehicle. I`ve seen horrible color matches where you can clearly see what was repainted.

Fleet
05-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ben54

Do bodyshops still color match by looking at the car? I was under the impression that if it`s stock paint, the refinishing supplier already knows the color for the car. But I guess that`s the problem because variations appear during the mixing which can only be corrected by comparing to the original vehicle. I`ve seen horrible color matches where you can clearly see what was repainted.

Yes, this is Exactly what I`m worried about now! I want the paint to match.

wifehatescar
05-14-2004, 02:06 PM
An all in one product (AIO, PwC, etc) should provide some protection, get the color close to original, and be a quick job to accomplish...that`s what I would do.

imported_eggroll
05-14-2004, 02:07 PM
No, there is a paint code usually in the doorjab of your car

something like: CD654981698231687

They should go by the code.