PDA

View Full Version : Rain-X...INTERIOR glass

Don
04-10-2003, 12:36 AM
I have found that applying Rain-X with a paper towel, wiping with a damp cloth, then buffing with a MF towel has a couple of benefits.

First of all, it leaves the windows COMPLETELY spotless. Secondly any subsequent cleanings are much easier...even if cigarette smoke is involved.

Next, I don`t know if it`s just me, but my MF towels REALLY grab at the glass, making it hard to evenly buff the windows. The slickness of the Rain-X makes buffing easy.

NattyBumppo
04-10-2003, 06:20 AM
Sounds like a good process. I stopped using RainX about the second or third time I tried it. Call me a whimp but IMO, it`s a PITA to use. I`m systematically going through everything I use and every process I do to simplify things and seek out products that don`t fight me every step of the way. For me, RainX was one of the first to go. Perhaps I didn`t give it enough of a chance but I`ll be honest, I don`t miss it.

Natty

Don
04-10-2003, 07:30 AM
I have to give you that one...when you first use Rain-X, it is a pain, but once you get the hang of it, the vision benefits are well worth it.

I just recently discovered MF and those towels make using Rain-X as easy (or even easier) than `regular` window cleaners.

Nagchampa
04-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Good tip Don.

Natty, the trick to using Rain-X is to do it before you wash and do not buff the product off the glass. Just wash the car after like you normally would and you will have clear glass.

wayne
04-13-2003, 11:29 AM
Nagchampa,
Interesting tip. I never tried it like that..., but I will "test" it out today to see what happens:)

Don
04-13-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by wayne
Nagchampa,
Interesting tip. I never tried it like that..., but I will "test" it out today to see what happens:)

Yep it works...especially on really hot days when everything likes to smear.

2hotford
04-13-2003, 09:37 PM
I think I would be a little careful using Rain-X on the inside of your windshield. First off, many windshields have on the inside a protective film that could be damaged by the product. I draw your attention to a post made by an apparent ex-employee that dealt with Rain-X.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87570&perpage=20&highlight=RainX&pagenumber=2

He claims that Rain-X contains Sulfuric Acid!! Yup! :eek: Now, that in itself is not a cause for alarm. But, I have no idea what this chemical will do if a windshield has the protective film.

Just something to think about.:confused:

Nagchampa
04-14-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by 2hotford
......................He claims that Rain-X contains Sulfuric Acid!! Yup! :eek: Now, that in itself is not a cause for alarm. But, I have no idea what this chemical will do if a windshield has the protective film.

Just something to think about.:confused: I do not see any acids listed on the MSDS sheet.

The protective layer on a windshield is almost always sandwiched somewhere between the two layers of glass.

I wouldn`t use Rain-X on the inside but I would like to try their Anti-Fog.

2hotford
04-14-2003, 09:46 AM
Hey Nag,

I was not aware of the sulfuric acid either.

However, I was not referring to the safety film but rather the coating on the inside of some windshields. I believe it has someting to do with a UV film or perhaps the "heads-up display". Many manuals tell you not to attach suction cups etc... in order to avoid damaging this layer.

I will try and find out a little more and will post back.

wayne
04-14-2003, 10:07 AM
I think I would be a little careful using Rain-X on the inside of your windshield. First off, many windshields have on the inside a protective film that could be damaged by the product. I draw your attention to a post made by an apparent ex-employee that dealt with Rain-X.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87570&perpage=20&highlight=RainX&pagenumber=2

He claims that Rain-X contains Sulfuric Acid!! Yup! :eek: Now, that in itself is not a cause for alarm. But, I have no idea what this chemical will do if a windshield has the protective film.

Just something to think about.:confused:

Check out the MSDS and show me where the "acid" was listed:)

http://www.pzlqs.com/techdata/l7_msds_fs.htm

Nagchampa
04-14-2003, 10:57 AM
Hey Nag,

I was not aware of the sulfuric acid either.

However, I was not referring to the safety film but rather the coating on the inside of some windshields. I believe it has someting to do with a UV film or perhaps the "heads-up display". Many manuals tell you not to attach suction cups etc... in order to avoid damaging this layer.

I will try and find out a little more and will post back. I was referring to the UV film as well. From what I understand it is usually right beside the plastic layer.

2hotford
04-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Wayne, did you read the link?? Why don`t you ask him about the MSDS.

:)

wayne
04-14-2003, 04:03 PM
2hotford,
I read through some of it late last night, but was not real thourough, just kinda skimmed through.
Wasn`t really that interested in "running it down".
I thought someone here might have had more info or there was an updated version floating around that had acid in it.
Not that big of a deal, just asked a question I thought someone might have had an answer to.
I have used it for years with great results, easy on, easy off and no "acid problems".
Speaking of acid..., do you know where..., oh- nevermind LOL!

Nagchampa,
What does your screen name mean..., I have been "out of it" for a while:)

Nagchampa
04-14-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by wayne

Nagchampa,
What does your screen name mean..., I have been "out of it" for a while:) It`s a long story but basically I named myself after some cheesy incense.