PDA

View Full Version : Help on Dewalt 443

lance
05-12-2004, 10:49 PM
I tried using my new Meguirs polishing pad last weekend to try and remove the microscratches and minor swirls of my 1 1/2 yr old Mitsubishi Lancer. I used a brand new Dewalt 443. I have never used a PC or Dewalt 443 before though I have in my possession as well a RandomOrbit buffer (B&D) which isn`t variable speed. I noticed that the B&D buffer was spinning (now I can`t recall if it`s clockwise or counter-clockwise. that`s how newbie i am :o ) and doing the random orbit motion regardless if you`re just holding it or it`s being worked on on top of the car.

I noticed that with the 443, before the pad touches the surface, the pad is spinning and jiggling at the same time. But once the pad is on the actual surface, it looks as if it`s just jiggling. It`s no longer spinning. Unintentionally, I have one spot of the plate with dried polish. I can tell that the plate doesn`t seem to be spinning because that part of the plate with dried polish doesn`t seem to be moving. It`s just jiggling and no clockwise/counter-clockwise movement of the plate seemed to be happening. Is that really how it should work? Or is it just spinning too fast that I can no longer tell the difference if it`s still spinning or not? But I`m thinking that if it`s spinning too fast, I should see the dried polish as if it`s all over the plate because of the speed.

I used DACP with the 443. I spent around 5-8 minutes on a 2x2 area of the car but never on any spot that I reached the point wherein DACP turns into something like "dust." It`s actually still there totally whenever I wipe it out with microfiber. I`m not sure if it`s my 443 or my technique that failed me. I still see lots of microscratches. The swirls are reduced but still there. Under a fluorescent light and on a certain angle, I can also see water spots on the hood.

BTW, I followed up DACP with IHG and finished with NXT.

Any help would be appreciated....Thanks...

imported_tot31
05-12-2004, 11:18 PM
I also have a DW443 and just use it for a first time last weekend.Yes the DW443 actually jiggles as it is a random orbital sander and I assume PC also behaves like that.I`ve tried using with MG`s 8" pads as well as a local 6" pads.All the pads works well with it.

The DW 443 is a powerful tool although it still can`t match the performanceof any rotary buffers ( I also have Dewalt849).My hood got a lot of micro scratches,light scratches as well as some water marks etches.I worked on 4x4 surface as I was using 8" pad.It removed the micro/fine scratches,the water etchings and minimize those deeper one and I really satisfied with it.Here was my steps I did to my hood.

1. Washed with NXT car wash.

2. MG`s #83 with MG`s W7000 Cutting Pad(Maroon) with speed dial set at 4.5.

3. MG`s #82 with MG`s W8000 Polishing Pad(Yellow) with speed dial set at 2.5.

4. Hand applied NXT wax and removed with MF towel.

Here are some of the pics of the result.

http://www.hardsoftsolutions.net/ria/nxt1.jpg

http://www.hardsoftsolutions.net/ria/nxt2.jpg

matc
05-12-2004, 11:51 PM
I have a DW 443 and have a bit of experience using it.

I find DACP needs to be "worked in" because as the DACP breaks down it becomes a fine polish and removes most of the marring (fine scratches) caused by the DACP when first applied to the car.

I would follow up with a SMR (perhaps Megs) just to remove any residual marring and then top with sealant wax or both.

You may also want to use a slightly more abrasize pad, such as the Lake County Orange "light cut" pad if the scratches aren`t removed with the Megs yellow pad. If you do use the LC orange pad, be sure to apply an SMR afterward to remove any haze.

The DW443 is an excellent machine and is slightly more powerful than a PC, meaning you should be able to remove the marks you have referred to quite easily (especially watermarks).

Another tip is to clay the car before you hit it with the DW443. This gives you a nice clean smooth surface to work with.

Gook luck

:xyxthumbs