PDA

View Full Version : Detailing at dusk?

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-12-2004, 08:33 PM
The garage is full of crap and the shade dissipates over my driveway at about 8 AM so I`ve basically washed and waxed for years after 6 PM as long as it`s not too hot outside (under 70 Degrees) and the car is cool to the touch and never had any problems.

So I`ll be claying and doing the Klasse twins after 6PM and between 50 and 60 degrees on the weekend. Today my car was cool to the touch at that time. Anybody had problems with claying or AIO\SG after 6PM when the sun is still shining? Does late day sun matter as long as it is cool outside?

What do you guys do when you`re not blessed with shade or garage? Do you wait until dark and just bring out the lamps? Would like to avoid that if possible and doing it at 6AM is not feasible.

Redcar GUY
05-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Well if your not in direct sun and the car is cool, that should be ok...

maypo
05-12-2004, 09:07 PM
If you have to do it in the sun then do the side that is in shade while the sun is low enough (if the car is cool enough) Then turn the car around and wait for it to cool.

To do my truck, 03 F250 SD Crew Cab, it takes me a few days. I do the side that has been in the shade and is cool. The next time I park the other way so the other side is in the shade.

That leaves the hood. That I do either very early or very late.

Good luck and may the force be with you.....

BillNorth
05-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Dan,

I`ve washed and SG`d many times in my driveway after 6pm with no problems. My driveway is also shaded after 6. Evenings are actually better as well because it`s not as hot. Detailing in the garage during the day can be painful, even with the shade. as long as the surface of the vehicle is cool to the touch and you are out of direct sun, then you`ll be ok.

Bill.

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Can someone explain to me why the direct late day sun would have an adverse effect on Klasse(or anything else) if all parts of the car is cool to the touch.

Considering that AIO and SG will both be applied using WOO I don`t think the late day direct sun would have time to adversely affect it or am I totally off base here or should I just pray for clouds.

I just want to get it all done in 1 evening and I`m not going to be able to avoid the direct sun to my roof, hood and trunk.

beanbag
05-13-2004, 04:01 AM
just be careful about dew condensing on your car

BillNorth
05-13-2004, 09:01 AM
If it the sun is still strong enough late in the day then it may bake the AIO and SG. I know yesterday at around 6:00pm was still quite hot here. Just use your best judgement and you should be ok.

Bill.

Jesstzn
05-13-2004, 09:11 AM
Dan I have used AIO/SG in the spring morning sun on a black car at about the same temps and all was ok. Are you able to put up one of the temp garages like Costco sells for $170? I have one .. been more perm than temp .. up for 3 years now and being white gives lots of light for detailing.

Garage (http://www.photodump.com/direct/Jesstzn/Dsc00666.jpg)

jonw440
05-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Yosemite Dan

The garage is full of crap

What do you guys do when you`re not blessed with shade or garage .

I only have a shed like "Jesstzn" and My truck wont fit in it! If I had a garage that I could use, I wouldn`t be on here asking if detailing Klasse twins in the sun is alright, I would be in my garage. CLEAN out the damn garage!I would give my right arm (I own a PC so I could get by with one arm) ;) for a garage I could detail my vehicles when its sunny OR raining out.

:wavey

Mr. Clean
05-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by BlackRegal

I`ve never used SG in the sun, but I`ve never had any problems with AIO in the sun as long as the surface is cool.

I don`t use SG at all, but I have used AIO multiple times on the driveway, with the sun up, on a cool surface with 0 problems applying or removing.

As was said elsewhere, use your own judgement.

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by jonw440

I only have a shed like "Jesstzn" and My truck wont fit in it! If I had a garage that I could use, I wouldn`t be on here asking if detailing Klasse twins in the sun is alright, I would be in my garage. CLEAN out the damn garage!I would give my right arm (I own a PC so I could get by with one arm) ;) for a garage I could detail my vehicles when its sunny OR raining out.

:wavey

Did my wife call you and put you up to this?:eek:

Actually it`s a single car garage and even empty it would be a tight fit to be detailing. When you throw in the swimming pool cover and ladders etc and all the bikes and lawn mower and BBQ blah blah blah. I don`t have the room in the backyard to put a shed because of the pool. I hope you beleive me because the wife has so far. ;)

I knew I would get a lecture about cleaning the garage when I created this thread.:o

Soarer V
05-13-2004, 04:53 PM
One advantage I have in warm weather, is the product removal is easier for me.

Some products don`t work as well when being applied after dark.