PDA

View Full Version : Backing Plate nessisary?

Buick_guy
05-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Ok, Seriously considering a PC, since my b-day is coming up in about 6 days, I`ll ask my parents for it, and then I can pitch in.

One thing I wanted to ask is, are those velcro backing plates nessicary?

SpoiledMan
05-12-2004, 05:32 PM
The backing plate is necessary unless you only want to use the white pad that comes with the PC. Meguiar`s and some other manufacturers have kits that come with pads and a backing plate and can be had for about $35 or so. You can use a wide variety of pads with one backing plate.

2wheelsx2
05-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Short answer: Yes

Extended version: The pad which comes with the PC sucks. It breaks down very quickly. Having a hook and loop backing plate will allow you to use whatever pad from whoever you want. Those backed polishing pads are horribly expensive. Why pay for a backing plate each time? And hook and loop is easy on easy off. It`ll let you change from cutting to polishing to finishing pads in seconds. Also allow you to quickly change to a clean pad once the current one is loaded up. The backing plate is what makes the PC so versatile. Without it, it`s very cumbersome to use.

Make sure you don`t get the Meguiar`s backing plate. Lot`s of people, including me, have had problems with them not sticking after a while. Get the Coastal tool contour backing plate, or the Lake Country backing plate.

tpgsr
05-12-2004, 05:40 PM
or if you want no backing plate, edge pads is releasing a system similar to the edge 2000 rotary pads, just dsigned for the PC

Krickerman
05-19-2004, 03:37 PM
I believe the new system is now available for the PC.

Buick_guy
05-19-2004, 03:57 PM
The only reason I didn`t want to use a backing plate is because a PC take a big enough chunk of change out of my pocket, and I can`t afford a backing plate.

BlueRanger
05-19-2004, 05:52 PM
If you dont have a backing plate, what else are you gonna use for your pads? If you order it from costal tool, they include one anyways, and a 6" counter weight, for $120 i believe...

Jesstzn
05-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Isn`t Lowes $109 and Coastal $119 and from Coastal you get the stock pad and the backing plate c/w counterweight.

The only thing I find the stock pad good for is I put it on top of a M/F towel and run it at about 3 for taking wax/sealant off.