PDA

View Full Version : PC 7336SP questions

imported_Interspy24
05-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Hi all, after almost a year of interest in detailing, I took the plunge and bought a porter cable. I had a $20 gift certificate at Lowe`s, so I went ahead and bought the 7336sp model.

I know a few posts were recently made about backing plates and so forth, but is the pad that comes with it any good? If not, where would be the best place to order the appropriate backing plate? I`m a little confused on the velcro and hook and loop lingo.

Also, I live in Oklahoma, would any stores like NAPA or local paint stores carry backing plates in stock? If not, where would be a good place to buy pads online? I ask this because I don`t think I really need a vast assortment, just two yellow pads and two gray pads. I just plan on using ssr2 and pwc, nothing too crazy (for now). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks and take care. :bow

Vik

kg/cm²
05-12-2004, 02:01 PM
The pad that comes with is definitely useful...about the same as the white CMA pad...check your local auto paint supply shops...they should carry meg`s pads and backing plates...if you want to order online, check out the autopia store:

http://autopia-carcare.com/?source=autopia_store_page

everything you need to get started playing with your PC can be bought there...

GOOD LUCK!

rickindy
05-12-2004, 02:02 PM
You need one of these kits. Comes with a good assortment of pads and the backing plate.

http://www.properautocare.com/porcabackit.html

imported_Interspy24
05-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks, I`ll probably just order the 6" backing plate and a couple of yellow pads and maybe a couple gray pads for now. I`ll see how the pad that it comes with works with pwc and/or sec. Thanks guys, I`ll report back sometime next week with pictures.

roadman
05-12-2004, 07:17 PM
You can start with looking for local places that carry Meg`s products.

http://www.meguiars.com/DealerLocator/DealerLocator_template.cfm

A kit may be best to start with, it will include a flex Velco backing plate and a few pads. You will likely go through more than one of the same type during your project. Any excess build up on the pad hinders the process, so spares are key.

Also the cost of a kit offer more for less and is a great starting point

I just picked up a 7336SP from Lowes as well as the DM-KIT from CMA.

Did your 7336SP come with a storage case ? Mine did not

imported_Interspy24
05-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Thanks again for the reply, I`ll probably just go ahead and order the kit.

Tallman, I also bought my 7336sp from lowe`s the other day and did not get a case. We were supposed to, but I guess myabe they discontinued the case or something. Oh well, tell me if you find out anything about the case.

Vik

Matt M, PA
05-13-2004, 08:33 AM
The 7336SP does not come with a case...the 7336 with a dust collection hose (and other things) are a different part number, but does come with a case, according to the PC catalogue. (That`s the one GG sells)

I bought a plastic tool box at Lowe`s for about $8 that holds the machine and pads.

I have a 7336SP from Lowes.

As far as plates and pads. I got a 5" 3M Hook-It (not Hook It 2) plate and some Meguair`s 6.5" pads at my local auto body supply house. The 5" plate almost covers the whole velcro area of the pads, and gives a softer edge than the 6" plates.

With the above combination, I have very little vibration and when compared to a friend`s PC set-up, I think the 5" plate`s slightly lighter weight makes a big difference in the rotating mass.

togwt
05-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Detailers Paradise sell a storage case for PCs

Jesstzn
05-13-2004, 09:02 AM
Interspy the screwin white pad that comes with it I use all the time for product removal .. Either put a bonnet on it or do as I do and I use it sitting on a MF towel .. It actaully grabs the towel and holds on to it.