PDA

View Full Version : painted car - when can I polish+wax

adi_mitrea
05-12-2004, 11:30 AM
How much time do I need to allow for a pint to cure before I can start polishing and waxing. What about clay bar? Can I use the clay bar on recently painted surfaces? What about quick detail?

The paint has a clearcoat.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate any advice.

togwt
05-12-2004, 11:46 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Q: How much time do I need to allow for a pint to cure before I can start polishing and waxing?

A: 1- Polish or Waxing New Vehicle: New cars with OEM water based paint are cured at high temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens and can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant. New cars go through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the cars paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level ensure the paint is fully cured by the time the car leaves the assembly line.

A; 2 Newly painted vehicle- How long do you have to wait before you can polish or wax a newly painted film surface? A glaze contains a protective polymer that is paint able. It is completely safe for fresh paint, as it allows the solvents to evaporate. I do not know of a single paint manufacture that recommends applying wax, or any type of paint protectant until a minimum of 30 days has passed and sometimes longer.

Dupont standard is to wait 90 days if the vehicle is out in the elements and to wait 120 days if it is kept in a garage most of the time. It can be argued that catalysed paints are cured chemically and there is no need to wait for 30 days, the manufacture knows their products best, seek their advice.

Q: Can I use the clay bar on recently painted surfaces? Yes Q: What about quick detail?

A: Yes

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

du3ce
05-12-2004, 12:06 PM
i just got my rear bumper painted the shop said 90 days