PDA

View Full Version : Palm Sanders

jusjase44
10-02-2004, 02:11 PM
I am about to have my car painted (black). So i am jus trying to inform myself of what it takes to maintain my finish. Here is my question. I already own one of those palm sanders Dewalt DW423K, has anyone used these type of sanders/polishers before and/or is it possible that this can be used?

OI812
10-02-2004, 10:32 PM
I am about to have my car painted (black). So i am jus trying to inform myself of what it takes to maintain my finish. Here is my question. I already own one of those palm sanders Dewalt DW423K, has anyone used these type of sanders/polishers before and/or is it possible that this can be used?

Yep, I have used them before. In fact I love them so much I have two of them. The finish you get with these is just incredible. You are talking about wood not cars? :rofl

Now I`m just kidding you, you bring up an excellent question. After all the PC is a sander/polisher. I`m not sure how they compare in OPM (orbit per minute), and AMPS. I didn`t look at the specs for the 423K, but is it variable speed? I think that will be the biggest draw back to that unit. The hook and loop system may also be different. I will have to keep my eyes on this thread. Great question.

Oh by the way welcome to DC.

jusjase44
10-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Well here are the spec for each

Dewalt DW423K
Amps 3.0 Amps
Orbits/Min 7,000-12,000 opm
Orbit Diameter 3/32 "
Dust Collection Yes
Paper Size/Type 5", 8 Hole Hook & Loop
Dust Sealed Switch Yes
Pad DW4388
Pad Break DW4399
Tool Weight 3.5 lbs
Shipping Weight

Porter Cable 7424
3.7 Amp, AC Only
Electronic variable speed 2,500-6,000 OPM
Random, swirl-free polishing action
Spiral/bevel gears
100% ball and roller bearing construction
Standard Equipment: Polisher, polishing pad #54745, wrench #48779, side handle, and operating manual

Well i realise that the dewalt is alot more OPM, Whats the fastest OPM dats safe on a car?

TY glad to be here

Here wat i have decided to buy so far (from reading here)
1: 10-15 MF towels (16x16)
2: 2 MF Drying towels

OI812
10-04-2004, 09:32 PM
I don`t know what the safest OPM`s are for a car. I think the biggest down fall will be the fact that you don`t have variable speed. Also you need to consider how the pads will attach to the DeWalt. Will the pads even stay on at that OPM, and will the pads fail at that OPM. I have had a couple of pads fail with my pc at 6. I think I would skip the MF towels and drying towels for now and put that money into a PC. Just a thought.

rhillstr
10-04-2004, 10:06 PM
A couple things with a palm sander-

First has it been used for wood. The last thing you want is tiny amounts of minute wood dust getting under your pad and sanding your finish.

Second it would work technically but think of it this way. A trailer hitch could be installed on a 4 cyl. car or a huge diesel truck so why not tow your boat with a car, it`s cheaper? Well the 7424 may not have a monster size motor compared to a palm sander but it is built with a much hardier tranny (so to speak) and is set up for the larger load a big foam pad on paint creates. Your palm sander would burn up quickly. A small pad designed for a palm sander would be great for detail spots like sills and mirrors would be a great idea however....

jusjase44
10-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Check this link this (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=44859)

OI812
10-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Get a old hood from a junk yard and give it a whirl. If you are asking for someone to approve or disapprove of it, I don`t think you will get that. There are too many variables, that we don`t know. What type of polishes, pads, the list could go on and on. Get an old hood or fender and give it a try. If you are worried that you will wreck your oribital sander, then don`t do it and buy the proper tool for the job. On the other hand, you could probably buy 2 or 3 of those orbital sanders for the same cost of rotary or PC. Are you confused yet? IMO there is no right or wrong answer. There is only your opion that matters. Buy just one or two pads to test it with, that way you don`t have a lot of money stuck into. That way if you decide to change your not out much. Just remember if you mess up the paint with the dewalt, you have a great tool to start the refinishing of your paint :rofl

jimmybuffit
10-11-2004, 03:23 AM
I use a Mirka pneumatic Palm Sander for machine wetsanding. The specs are similar to the Dewalt. Even thought it has a variable speed control and a 6" backing plate, I`m still reluctant to use foam pads with it.

The previous points are well made. Save up for the PC...

Jim