PDA

View Full Version : Cheapo Alternative

Buick_guy
05-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Does anyone know about a cheap alternative to a PC? I can`t afford a PC, even going deep into my rainy day fund. Anyone know of one for under 100 bucks?

imported_Greg
05-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Just save for the PC. There really isn`t anything worth buying in the random orbital category because they don`t generate enough speed to break down a polish. You could always just jump right into a rotary and get the Chicago Electric, but I wouldn`t recommend it.

Buick_guy
05-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Nah, there is no way I`m going to go to a rotary. I know that there are some nice alternatives to a PC for cheaper. I just don`t remember what the name of the thing is. DAMN!

Accumulator
05-11-2004, 07:41 PM
People have found PCs for around $100. Look on ebay and/or try to find a refurbished one. There`s really nothing to worry about when buying one that`s been repaired. And yeah, hold out until you can afford one. Anything less is probably just wasted money in the long run. But you could look at other brands` D/A polishers, like Dewalt. Again, see if you can buy a repaired one.

Bill D
05-11-2004, 07:44 PM
I totally agree. Unfortunately for YEARS I missed out on REAL polishing by using those Waxmaster type waxers and then wondering why no defects were coming out :o Now I`m spoiled that I have the PC. There I go again, finding fault in that too, so I`m ready to FINALLY move on to a rotary

joburnet
05-11-2004, 09:55 PM
I would seriously consider the Chicago Electric rotory. I got one and it comes with a velcro backing plate that the meg`s buffing pads will fit onto, it`s not self centering but I`ve found that it`s not too hard to get it nice and centered.

I got it because it was cheap and at the time I had no expirence with a rotory, currently I`ve only done a couple cars, and I have had no problems with damaging paint. Just be careful with it and keep it on it`s lowest setting and you will be just fine.

I was actually surprised at how slow it was on the lowest setting, it seems like it would actually be difficult to damage your paint on that setting but maybe I just haven`t run into that problem yet.

Looking at the pic from you AIO review thread I would say that this buffer, or any PC or rotory, and some polish would do wonders for it.

Big Leegr
05-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Winnipeg`s only about 3 hours from Grand Forks. If your family ever goes down there, bring along about $110.00 (U.S.) + tax and pick up one at the Lowe`s there. Spend a couple days and it`s duty free. Otherwise, order online, pay a little more for shiping and duty (no tax), and get it brought to you in the comfort of your own room. It`ll still be cheaper than the $239.00 Cdn Tire charges.

Buick_guy
05-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks.

Fox Curry
05-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Joburnet!

What was the number on that Chicago Electric rotary?

joburnet
05-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Item # 46507

Fox Curry
05-15-2004, 05:24 AM
Thanks, big guy!

jerry@robs
05-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Dewalt and Bosch both have orbitals under $150 I believe. My DeWalt 443 costs around $60 only (converted from local currency)