PDA

View Full Version : Autopia 1 week here, thoughts so far . . .

Pstone
05-11-2004, 11:30 AM
My scratch repair answer found, by me as it should be.

Since I only had one response on my question on scratch repair in another thread . . (and thx to TPGSR for the offer to actually come out and show me). But unfortunately I`m 2 1/2 hours east of him.

I just figured most of you are into detailing and waxing here in the university`s forum and it`s the place for newbies. Seems few pros don`t lurk around here or at least answer some of our questions (although some do and are gracious enough to answer). But clearly as newbies, we should be doing our own homework here and Read, Read, Read.

My guess many don`t respond because so many of our newbie questions are so repetitive and it`s not worth their time. I really don`t blame them as I`m only here a week and I`m seeing the same questions asked over and over again which shows we are not doing a simply search first or even better to just read all the different links the site has put together, starting with the learn link at the top of the page.

For those of us that want to learn the fine art of detailing there is truly an amazing amount of info that can be read here as I have found, on top of the ability to pose a question and have it answered in this forum.

Today in searching and more learning, I found this help tutorial by David that answered my question "on if it is possible for us to repair a scratch ourselves?" which is a question I`ve pondered for only about 30 years, but never took the time to search out the answer.

Here the answer and the link: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27

As a newbies, we really must search and learn on our own and most of the info we seek is already here somewhere. I especially appreciated the thread and posting of the list of abrasive comparisons (I know there may be errors, but it`s a start and it`subjective anyway). With so many brands chasing for our $`s it`s really confusing trying to learn product knowledge when so many are similar. Especially before we attack our cars. I say attack, because without the proper reading and practice first, you really are attacking it if you use the wrong tools and abrasives and lack of practiced skills. My rotary is coming in several days, I`m heeding the advice I`ve read on this site and going to go to the guy who paints my car`s lot and practice on an old fender. I clled him and he said "sure, no problem"!

When I saw a poster try to tell a newbie he really should keep reading before he starts on his car, he was flamed for his statement (go figure).

My only complaint so far is on questions like I had for scratch repairs, one wonders why no one showed me the link. I would think a moderator could have posted it to help a newbie out.

Clearly, they are over paying the university forum`s moderators . . . ;)

Just kidding about being paid! I`m just a kidder (will he block me now?)

But the above scratch repair link is a great one and I`m sure 90% of us newbies would love to know that we can actually repair a decent sized scratch ourselves and make the repair potentially invisible.

BTW: I appreciate all the help I`ve garnered here in just a week. I posted a link in a thread to this site at my Saab forum.

I also just bought $325 worth of products from one of this sites sponsors: Autogeek.net. Sure I could have bought the PC 7428 rotary $15 cheaper at another site, but they were nice people to deal with and they gave me a 10% discount on the rest of the order since I mentioned this site. Best part was only $10.95 for shipping all my items, compounds, bonnets pads, Meguiar`s, Klasse, P21s etc. they saved me the time from buying from several different websites and paying shipping to each one. They carry most of the brands talked about here.

Thx again for this great site and to all who participate.

Paul

pmkoc
05-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Very Well Said

Paul

JasonC8301
05-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Welcome to the forum Paul!

Good luck with the new rotary. Do you have a Porter Cable 7336, 7424, or 7335? (the dual action orbital polisher.)

This sticky link (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12377) is invaluable for me. I read it so many times before I used my Makita.

I love my Makita 9227C, but I gradually stepped up to it. I used a PC dual action for 2 years or so before I stepped up to the rotary. The rotary is a double edged sword, it can do harm on one side, and on the other do magical results. The Dual Aciton PC is not as powerfula nd takes longer for more serious defects, but it makes good paint great. My Makita/PC dual action works well for me.

Everyone will have a similar plan but not always the same. If something works for someone in may not work for another. You will just have to do what works for *you*. Haha there goes me mimicking Accumulator (a fellow Autopian with vast skills in detailing and a fitness fanatic!)

It is a tool that has a learning curve though. I learned my mistake here (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25153). Follow up here (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36480).

The search function is a good thing. I try to remember posts and dates but 3 + years of information gets hectic.

Good luck!

Jason

ZaneO
05-11-2004, 12:29 PM
One thing that you need to consider though is the magnitude of information on this site. If a moderator is supposed to give a link for everything, doesn`t that mean he/she is doing all your searching for you?

If they know it right off hand, that`s great, but most can`t remember where every little detail is without searching for it, which is what the search button is for.

Glad you enjoying the site and feel free to ask any questions you have after you have searched :cool:

togwt
05-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Welcome to Autopia

Great first post BTW.

ÂHere`s the technique I use for the HS Rotary, regardless of which polish/pad you need. Screw a clean pad on the polisher and put a 1" diameter blob of polish on the centre of the pad. Press it against the car and turn the polisher on the slowest speed (about 1,000rpm). You can drape the cord over you shoulder or whatever technique keeps it from rubbing or dragging across the paint film surface and causing marring.

ÂKeep the pad flat against the paint and moving at all times. Cover an area about 1/4 the size of the hood and use a ‘W’ pattern and go around this area overlapping strokes until the polish is consumed. You want to do an area that will allow the product to be consumed. Don’t try to use an excess of product a little worked into the paint film surface is all you need.

ÂTo polish a horizontal surface, lay a 6-8†bead of polish (enough for a 2’x 2’ area) lift the pad at the ten o’clock position, approximately 5 degrees. Start the rotary to the right of the product bead, then sweep right to left, and then place the pad flat to the surface.

ÂApply by spreading the product around with the pad while the buffer is off, or apply a thin line bead of product onto the surface of the paint, angle the rotary at the 10 o clock position, pick up the product, then lay the rotary flat onto the surface and start buffing overlapping each stroke by 50% and keep the pad flat to the surface.

ÂYou want to move in a slow steady pace to let the paint heat up but not stand in one place and burn it.

ÂIf you started with the medium cut pad, re- start the whole process over again with the light cut pad.

After you’ve finished wash the vehicle to get rid of the compounding residue dust and dry it off

Pstone
05-11-2004, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JasonC8301

[B]Welcome to the forum Paul!

Good luck with the new rotary. Do you have a Porter Cable 7336, 7424, or 7335? (the dual action orbital polisher.)

The PC 7428 rotary will arrive in a few days. I have the Cyclo for an orbital which I`ve used for the past 4 years (worth every penny). My son just bought the PC 7424 as it`s tops for an orbital from what I`ve read here and more in his price range.

I figure for cutting, I can save a lot of time with the rotary rather then having to work the orbital over and over to achieve less of a result then I`m looking for.

And Thx also to the Acumulator for taking the time to respond to ? I had.

Those pics of your mistakes and your final product where great. Think I could come over and practice with my new rotary out of the box on your mirror since you screwed it up anyway :D :D :D

Pstone
05-11-2004, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TOGWT

[B]Welcome to Autopia

Great first post BTW.

ÂHere`s the technique I use for the HS Rotary . . .

Thanks for you`re taking the time to post this. I`m going to be sure to internalize it before I approach my car`s finish. I`ve read some sticky`s and links on how to`s with a rotary but your post seems to simplify what I`ve read into laymans terms.

Paul