PDA

View Full Version : Dang Meguiars #40!

Pages : [1] 2

trueblueblood
05-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Well it rained yesterday while my car was parked outside. When I came out to it in the evening there was this oily haze under both side mirrors which are plastic on the Stang. I was like WTF, but remembered I had used #40 4 or 5 days ago so I`m assuming that was it. But I would think 4 or 5 days in the sun would have dried it up. I applied it but did not buff it off, I didn`t go crazy with product. Is this normal for #40 or would buffing it off make a difference. I think #40 is an awesome product in the interior but on my textured black pieces outside such as mirrors and cowl behind the hood it will look even application wise but the next day after it has had time to sit it will get blotchy. Any suggestions for exterior trim I`ve got some Z-16 that I use for tires but says it also works for trim and that holds up pretty well on my tires! Thanks in advance:up

imported_Blake
05-11-2004, 10:27 AM
I use Meg`s GC Trim Detailer and it seems better than 40 on exterior trim. Really I`m still looking for a product that I`m totally pleased with. We can`t get #38 in Canada but I don`t know if it`s the answer. Keep lookin`.

37buckeye
05-11-2004, 10:35 AM
I`ve experimented with several products for exterior trim. I started off with Meguiars #40, then tried Vinylex, 303, and Einszett Tiefenpfleger.

Tiefenpfleger gets the nod from me. It doesn`t streak or get blotchy, and holds up through rain and several washings.

The finish is not too glossy and is similar to what one would achieve using 303.

For exterior trim, I apply Tiefenpfleger with a microfiber. Let it soak in and wipe off any remaining residue.

trueblueblood
05-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the responses so far I`m gonna give Z-16 a shot, if not I`ve been wanting to try Tiepenfleger, cause their gummifledge is awesome! Do you think buffing it off would have made a difference

wash-girl
05-11-2004, 10:57 AM
I think buffing it off would certainly have prevented much of the run-off, but probably not all of it. For exterior trim, I really prefer thicker products like the #38 gel or the GC Trim Detailer. I`ve even had success using Turtle Wax Tire Wax, and--believe it or not--Meg`s Dash Foam.

37buckeye
05-11-2004, 11:02 AM
I suspect that buffing the #40 off would have better worked the product into the surface and distributed the product more evenly.

If #40 (and other products like it) aren`t buffed off, isn`t it technically sitting on the surface? Rain would then cause it to blotch.

Another analogy would be applying rubber protectant on a tire without buffing it off. Once you start driving, the protectant that has not been absorbed would sling off and end up over the side of your car.

Actually, with all the rain we`ve had lately, I`m tempted to try an experiment. I`ll find an old trim panel and apply protectants to it both ways. I`ll follow up in a few days. :-)

jonw440
05-11-2004, 03:26 PM
I have never tried #40 so I cant coment on it. But,

I had the same problem with Vinylex. When it rained the Vinylex ran and left a stain (not really a stain because it wiped off) below anything I put it on. Mirrors, trim, ect.On the other hand Einszett Tiefenpfleger NEVER runs!! On my bed cover it beads, where Vinylex does not bead at all. Try the Einszett Tiefenpfleger if you get a chance. WOrth the money. I think you dont have to very much, just enough for complete even coverage, then buff off.

trueblueblood
05-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Just an update on #40 well with it raining for the last couple days. After it initially rained and left that nasty mess down my side it hasn`t done it since but I did notice that it had some beading action. So I might try it again and buff it off this time and see what happens! Any way I still want to try Tiefenpfleger. How does 303 hold up outside?

37buckeye
05-13-2004, 05:40 PM
My experience is that 303 also streaks in the rain.

We`ve had massive thunderstorms in NJ over the past four days. I discovered that Tiefenpfleger beads in the rain as well.

trueblueblood
05-13-2004, 05:43 PM
Alright Alright Tiefenpfleger it is:xyxthumbs :D

petraidm
05-13-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by ema

Tiefenpfleger gets the nod from me. It doesn`t streak or get blotchy, and holds up through rain and several washings.

TFor exterior trim, I apply Tiefenpfleger with a microfiber. Let it soak in and wipe off any remaining residue.

A desenting voice here .... I`ll NEVER use Tiefenpleger again. I have a convertible and tried 303, Vinylex, Tiefenpleger, and Raggtopp. Tiefenpleger was the WORST at washing off after a rain. 303 and Vinylex were better but still washed off. Wolfsteins Raggtopp was the best by far

AutoNova
05-13-2004, 06:33 PM
I use Bumper Kote by Car Brite it is a trim restorer and does wonders otherwise I would reccomend trim shine by Stoner`s. Products don`t always react the same on rubber molding because it is difficult to penetrate and doesn`t restore. i have not tried Mother`s back to black.

LouisanaJeeper
05-13-2004, 06:55 PM
I found the best way to maintain those areas is to strip them of the oily protectants and apply a couple coats of Z2 or Klasse AIO sealants. It keeps them protected, semi-gloss, and non greasy.

Accumulator
05-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

I found the best way to maintain those areas is to strip them of the oily protectants and apply a couple coats of Z2 or Klasse AIO sealants. It keeps them protected, semi-gloss, and non greasy.

Yep, what he said :xyxthumbs I vary between AIO/SG and AIO/BF depending on the trim. No more problems in the rain.

And for those who haven`t heard this before, I use *Souveran* on the XJS`s exterior trim, rubber bumper covers and all :eek: Sounds crazy (petroleum distillates and all that...) but after 19 years, said trim looks/feels like new.

Sirslap2
05-14-2004, 10:19 AM
OK...I have decided to jump in on this thread.

I just cleaned my truck interior with #40 and was going to post about how AWESOME it is.

There are only a few products that truly impress me and this is one of them. I was going to start a thread as a result.

I had previously "supposedly" cleaned the interior with Meguiars Extra.

I noticed dirt on the center armrest console after and thought I would pick up another bottle of #40.

I hit the armrest with the #40 - wiped with very little effort and the dirt came right out:bow

Everything after that cleaned with little effort as well.

I believe that you may have the wrong expectations for the product. It clearly states it is a cleaner/conditioner - not a dressing.

You should clean with it - wipe away all residue - and then dress the trim with your favorite.

Sorry...but I want to defend what I believe is an excellent product and what may be being dissed for inappropriate use.

Cheers - no hard feelings