PDA

View Full Version : Would this work ????

SP 325i
05-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Being in the UK we have to import a PC so I keep looking for UK based alternatives. Anybody any ideas how this machine would fair ? I found it because they list polishing pads and bonnets for it.

125MM 230V RANDOM ORBIT SANDER WITH 3M (APPROX) CABLE & PLUG

Features:

• Variable speed control

• Powerful 480W motor

• Hook and loop base pad for quick disc change

• Integral dust extraction facility

Supplied complete with a sanding disc, dust bag, BS non-rewireable plug and 3M (approx.) of cable. Display carton.

Specification:

Power ........ 480W

Pad diameter ........ 125mm

Orbit diameter ........ 2.5mm

Speed (no load) ........ 5000-12,000rpm

Weight

2.6kg

Product Code Each +VAT

125MM 230V RANDOM ORBIT SANDER WITH 3M (APPROX) CABLE & PLUG 63124 £35.00

^ 63124

Link to product (http://www.altecweb.com/d/C_listcategory.asp?categno=260&rangeno=256-264#260-3)

Design is not that of a "classic" polisher but would that make any difference?

thanks

Steve

SP 325i
05-11-2004, 03:15 AM
25 views , no opinions???????????

Steve

imported_edschwab1
05-11-2004, 03:28 AM
I think the sander described starts and goes to fast for automotive paint. Check out the Makita BO6040 which is an orbital polisher/sander available in UK. The BO6040 has specs similar to the PC. Do a search the was review of this and I think several European members use the BO6040.

Another option is the Dewalt DW443, which is used and reviewed by users here.

Both of the above polisher are listed their respective manufactures UK website.

Eric

SP 325i
05-11-2004, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the reply.

The Makita is too expnsive £245 ($370), Dewalt could be an option.

Any other comments on original machine ? Is it too fast ? Price is appealling (£35 = $55)

Steve

Lowejackson
05-11-2004, 02:41 PM
I am not an expert on buffers but it does seem the machine works at a very high speed. A PC is roughly 2000 to 5000 OPM and most rotary`s work at substantially lower speeds.

As for what this means in practise, I dont know.

Lowejackson
05-11-2004, 05:03 PM
I have just noticed Porter Cable have a UK site. I cannot see the 7424 model but I have sent an email asking if we will be able to buy it

SP 325i
05-12-2004, 04:43 AM
I have just found the site Lowe

www.porter-cable.co.uk a bit too obvious I suppose. From reading the FAQ though, it seems as if some Porter cable products will not get a CE mark for some reason or other, so cannot be sold. I live no too far from the stoe that runs the website so I may just drop in and see what they can do.

Also I am a bit of a cheapskate at the moment concerning detailing products as I am looking to get another track car. Engine work or detailing products ???? --for me engine work wins every time.

Steve

AndyC
05-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

I have just noticed Porter Cable have a UK site. I cannot see the 7424 model but I have sent an email asking if we will be able to buy it

Steve,

I thought I`d posted on this before - apologies to all if I haven`t.

I spoke to Porter Cable UK and the guy there (Roland?) basically said that if he had pound for every enquiry he`d had for the 7424 he`d be a wealthy man!

The main issue is that the machine doesn`t have a CE mark and thus hasn`t been officially approved for conversion and therefore usage in the UK, meaning that we have to continue to import them and if he does he`d be liable for a substantial fine as it`s not CE marked.

He did say he`d investigate but I`m not sure there`s enough interest to make it cost effective for him, despite the ever increasing number of UK autopians.

I`d steer well clear of a high speed sander myself - 5000rpm is through to primer territory IMO!!

On a separate note, I`d really like to try a rotary as I`m seriously thinking about taking the plunge. Anyone able to help me out?

SP 325i
05-12-2004, 07:25 AM
Andy

You probably have posted it before, but a lot of information passes through the foum and I have given up trying to do a UK specific search for Porter Cable. I either get nothing or all the PC threads and then a week of searching through them trying to glean the UK relevant info.

I may be able to get a rotary, the only problem is I tend to borrow tools from this one friend and end using them for about 18 months eg MIG welder, compressor etc. so I am not sure how keen he would be.

Just thinking maybe for Pugfest it would be an idea to have a section with a few scrap bonnets, a PC, a rotary, different products etc to show how to deal with paint defects and let people have a hands on feel. Maybe Alex could help.

Steve (PSOOC member 6 years)