PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait to apply Dawn, Zaino Z2/Z5 after BASF/Glasurit paint repair

brenesx
05-09-2004, 09:55 PM
I had my first hit-and-run experience on my Acura CLS. It got tagged in a parking lot while parked 400-feet away from anyone. I finally got my car back after 3-weeks of waiting. It is a Satin Silver Acura CL Type-S, and the shop that painted the car uses BASF/Glasurit paint. They have full down draft booths and UV curing, colorimeter, etc, etc.

The original damage and repair (rear bumper and trunk lid ding) went into "overtime" when someone put a ding in my quarter panel (lot damage @ shop). I looked over the car and its perfect, and they cleared about 1/3 of the car (blend job was perfect).

I asked the two owners (brothers) how long to wait to put Zaino back on the car (it had 30+ coats), and one brother said, "... just go ahead and put your Zaino on..." The other brother told me to wait a month. Unfortunately, this is a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing/saying and I would like some advice from someone familiar with top-notch body work and paint. I want to get some protection (Zaino) back on the car ASAP, but I don`t want to do it too soon.

Is anyone familiar with the BASF/Glasurit paint and how long it should be left Zaino free? My teflon-like armor with 30 layers had been polished and clayed away, and I did notice that the shop used carnauba in a few places during final inspection (I was standing there and pointing out little places where the Zaino looked like it hung on too well when they polished the other non-damaged parts of the car too (well, best description I have for now).

I`d just wait a month for Dawn/Z5/Z2/ZFX, but am concerned that bird droppings that used to "fall off" the car, now stick if not removed within minutes.

Does anyone have experience with the Glasurit paint curing time and possible Zaino interactions, etc.

If anyone has additional suggestions on laying down a "weenie-level" job, please let me know. I don`t care about the time and expense, and want to do the job right!

TIA

Jesstzn
05-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Most repaints say at least a month.. best thing to do is call the shop that did it and ask them .. then your safe.

kustomsol
05-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Ask Sal Zaino. If you`re going to be using his product, he`s the head guru.

brenesx
05-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

Most repaints say at least a month.. best thing to do is call the shop that did it and ask them .. then your safe.

Yes, I got two different stories from the two owners.

du3ce
05-09-2004, 10:50 PM
90 days thats what my shop said

gauchoy2k
05-10-2004, 06:48 AM
Yeah, i agree to wait at least 30-60 days. I worked at a body shop and most of the products i used said to wait that long. This is due to the paint curing and hardening time.

imported_Greg
05-10-2004, 08:30 AM
My personal opinion is to wait as well. The paint has solvents that must evaporate and you don`t want to seal those in with Zaino. You could use a glaze that will have to be reapplied frequently, but will provide slight protection.

brenesx
05-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by HRP

Ask Sal Zaino. If you`re going to be using his product, he`s the head guru.

Too bad he never replied. He used to...