PDA

View Full Version : Could you please critique my ways?

Buick_guy
05-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Ok, I am going to go and do my car, and I ordered, and bought some nice products.

This is what I`m going to do.

-Wash

-Clay

-Wash

-Dress the wheel wells with Armor all

-Polish up wheels

-DAPC by hand

-#82 Swirl Free Polish by hand

-Klasse AIO

-Klasse SG

-PlastX on the head lights and tail lights.

-Back to black on trim

One thing I wanted to know is, can I apply #82 after AIO and then put on SG? It kinda sucks, since I didnt` know #82 had fillers, and I already spent my budget on supplies, so a PC is out of the question. ALso is a random orbital polisher better than hand, or should I just stay with the hands? Thanks alot, I really appreciate your help.

Accumulator
05-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Using DACP (and even FP) by hand will be a workout, but it can be done (ask ScottWax).

Use the AIO *after* the FP, right before the SG.

If your trim is in good shape, I`d just use AIO/SG on it. I do that on a lot of exterior trim and it works great for me.

Buick_guy
05-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Ok, but doesn`t the SFP have fillers that AIO will remove?

Accumulator
05-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Yeah, and that`s part of the idea. You need to remove them so the SG will bond. Generally, you should always use AIO/SG in that order.

Buick_guy
05-09-2004, 08:16 PM
But if the fillers are removed, won`t that just remove all the work that I did with the SFP? Also does DACP have fillers, or is a true abrasive polish?

Accumulator
05-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Both the DACP and the SFP are "real" abrasive polishes, but the SFP is *very* mild. I don`t think DACP has any fillers in it, but I`m not sure. Using AIO will remove the SFP`s oils/fillers, but you need to do that before you can use SG.

Check out the other thread, your "why isn`t this working" one, for some recommendations. To be honest, I`m just not a big fan of DACP or SFP.

I`m sure this isn`t what you want to hear, but *I* think you might ougtha consider some different polishes. I`d hate for you to do a big job of work and not be pleased with your results.

At least work on one panel (and I wouldn`t choose the hood!) to see how that stuff is gonna work for you. If things don`t go well, you don`t want to mess up the whole car. Sorry, don`t mean to be a drag with all this negative stuff....

imported_Sullybob
05-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Accumulator,

Why do you say to not pick the hood to test products on? Is it because it is the most noticeable or is it the size? What panel would you recommend using to test your products/technique on?

I started working on my hood first because it was the worst area of the car and I thought that if I got good results there I would be fine for the rest of the car.

Thanks.

Accumulator
05-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Sullybob

Accumulator,

Why do you say to not pick the hood to test products on? Is it because it is the most noticeable or is it the size?

Yeah, those are the main reasons. As Buick_Guy is just starting out with this stuff (and he`s using some maybe-tricky products, by hand), I think he oughta pick something smaller and less prominent.

What panel would you recommend using to test your products/technique on?

Depends on the car. Something horizontal and flat, but smaller than the hood.

When just starting out, you want something that is easy to work on, easy to see clearly, but *not* something that everyone`s gonna notice if you have a problem. But hey, this is all just my $0.02, and it was sorta specifically directed at Buick_Guy and was based on his other thread about SFP not getting his marring out and leaving a haze.

I usually imagine worst-case scenarios (and how I`d feel if it happened to me) when recommending what someone else try.

imported_Sullybob
05-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the fast answer Accumulator. What you said makes sense.

Buick_guy
05-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks I appreciate the info. I`m going to go out and get a cheaper version of a PC, so I guess that could make things a litle bit easier. I just can`t justify spending like 300 dollars of a PC. I found a comprable one for 70 bucks, and will probably go with that. Even if it bogs down, it will still do some work no?

Accumulator
05-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Buick_guy

I`m going to go out and get a cheaper version of a PC...Even if it bogs down, it will still do some work no?

It should be better than the orbital you have now. Even the PC bogs down under load to some extent.

But if you shop carefully, you might be able to find a PC for about the same cost. Just something to consider.

2wheelsx2
05-10-2004, 03:47 PM
I used DACP and then AIO and SG all the time. But then, I have a PC....You`re never going to remove all the swirls by hand anyway, so I don`t really see the problem with the AIO cleaning off fillers from DACP and SFP. If you are worried about that, don`t go with AIO/SG until you get a PC to remove all the swirls. Go with #26 or #20 from the Meguiar`s line. Or #20 topped by #26. I used that combo (#9/#20/#26) on my cars with great success until I got the PC and subsequently, DACP.

Buick_guy
05-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Well, I recieved the Klasse today, and I am going out to get some DACP soon, since I still want to try it out by hand.