PDA

View Full Version : Another Menzerna success story (pics)

Pages : [1] 2

JoshABI
05-09-2004, 01:02 AM
My boss just picked up a new work truck and asked me to clean it up a bit for him...This thing was filthy and the paint was wrecked! It seems that the previous owner used it to off-road a whole lot and the entire truck was covered by very deep scratches from trees and bushes out on the trails.

So out comes the Menzerna IP...my go-to compound. I just can`t see to get enough of this stuff, and continue to have unbelieveable results with my PC. I just wanted to show you a couple pics tonight. I didn`t even get close to finishing this project tonight as the wash and interior alone took a few hours. I`ll get the rest of it done tomorrow.

Here is a before and after pic of the hood.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250341_78_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250341_79_full.jpg

Here is a small section above the rear wheel. I was running out of time and wanted to show him what my PC could do before we closed up for the night. You can clearly see where I taped off a border.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250341_81_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250341_82_full.jpg

It`s just unbelieveable what can be achieved with just the PC and some good products/procedures. I might have gotten a flawless finish with a rotary, but I`m posting these up for anyone who is still getting the hang of their PC. Don`t give up, the work is worth it.

stilez
05-09-2004, 01:30 PM
:shocked

First off, that last pic realllllly shows how terrible it looked and how amazing it looks now. Damn, when my DACP is done I think I`ve found my next go to more abrasive cleaner.

Can`t wait to see final results :)

ZaneO
05-09-2004, 01:39 PM
That`s just incredible!! I am guessing you used a yellow pad with the IP?

imported_Unreal
05-09-2004, 01:47 PM
That looks amazing....I was wandering how do you work your IP?

I been using mine with a white Lake Country pad on 5 and working till almost dry. I thought I got good results till I seen them pics.

armoredsaint
05-09-2004, 02:33 PM
StickKing1 more details please! I just ordered the Menzerna twins yesterday, for that level of swirls what pad and speed did you use? Looks amazing!

C-westin'FD
05-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Nice!!!

imported_Greg
05-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

First off, that last pic realllllly shows how terrible it looked and how amazing it looks now. Damn, when my DACP is done I think I`ve found my next go to more abrasive cleaner.

Can`t wait to see final results :)

IP is less aggressive than DACP FWIW. I haven`t had a whole lot of success with IP on CC`s, but single stage, its my favorite.

JoshABI
05-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by armoredsaintt

StickKing1 more details please!

I used a Lake Country yellow pad for this job with the IP. My routine goes something like this...

1. Lay two 4 -inch lines of IP on the surface of the truck.

2. Spread it around my 2`x2` work area with the pad (the PC is turned off).

3. Start the PC at a speed setting around 5 and work the entire surface slowly, using overlapping tracks and putting enough downward pressure on the PC to just begin to hear the motor slow down (moderate pressure).

4. I work the section for about 30-40 seconds at this speed and then begin to lighten the pressure while increasing the speed a click or two to around 5 and a half.

5. Whern the IP is just about used up, I`ll run a few passes with no pressure at all...just let the PC glide on the surface.

The whole routine maybe takes a minute or so.

Now usually I would wipe the polish off with a 50/50 alchohol-water mix, but last night I forgot to take my bottles with me and just used a dry microfiber...it worked like a charm! Even easier than using the 50/50, I think.

Once you have wiped the surface, examine it and repeat the process if needed. I worked each of these sections about 3 times to get them as good as I felt comfortable with. There are a few scratches that are just going to have to stay...they are far too deep for the PC and most likely too deep for a rotary, as I can just begin to feel them with my fingernail.

Originally posted by Greg

IP is less aggressive than DACP FWIW.

Greg is right, the general consensus here on Autopia is that DACP is a bit more aggresive than IP, but I`ll be honest....I use both and really like them both, but something seems to work better for me with the IP than the DACP. It is probably just my technique, but I will always reach for the IP first. The IP and I just jibe, I guess.

Many users have reported a much more difficult time removing IP after use, but I have been lucky enough to have nothing but success so far...I`ll cross my fingers, and get some more pics for you when I am done. :xyxthumbs

Deanski
05-09-2004, 07:49 PM
I use IP/FP quite often and LOVE this polish!

IP does a fine job and FP is just outstanding for that mirror look. It burnishes the pain to such a high gloss. Follow with a nice hand polish w/o fillers and your favorite sealant or wax or sealant/wax combo and it is one of the finest ways to really get the finish to a high gloss w/o fillers!

DACP is my tool for really bad areas, but love Menzerna on final work. I`ve always used a lessor pad first just to let the polish work. Sometimes a pad can work against you. I mostly use polish pads on all clearcoats unless it`s soooo bad, then I`ll resort to a cut pad. Sure, i may have to use more polish at times, but I just know that it`s the polish that really does the work. Hell I had to use a wool pad on one finish that was bad as hell, but the IP worked it out just fine.

OK so we joke about "Glue-Zena" but it DOES do a great job if you get use to it!

Regards,

Deanski

ZaneO
05-09-2004, 10:15 PM
I picked up Menzerna with no previous experience, and had absolutely NO problems with it. If you work it long enough, there nothing to worry about.

spetulla
05-10-2004, 02:10 AM
i do almost the exact same thing w/ my PC.

JoshABI
05-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Got a couple more pics for you guys. Just thought I`d share `em.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250341_83_full.jpg

You can see that I have worked on the cab at this point but not the bed of the truck. These kinds of scratches ran down the entire length of the vehicle....crazy!

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250341_84_full.jpg

Here is the same pic after a few passes of Menzerna IP. The cab and bed still show a few of the deeper markings, but what an improvement.

I`ll have a pic or two of the completed job in the next day or two, we have a few mechanical issues to take care of and in that time, she`s getting a few coats of SG! :xyxthumbs

JoshABI
05-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Okay...maybe just one more. Not to spoil the surprise, but there is something about this pic that I really like. I haven`t done anything at this point except Menzerna IP and FP, but it`s cool to see the full-size on the lift. ;)

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250341_85_full.jpg

Okay, that`s all for now.

andriver
05-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Brian, thats truly amazing :up . Can`t wait to see the rest of your pics.

StemagsEbenz
05-12-2004, 08:41 AM
I picked up the PC 7424,,and the Menzerna twins because I read that the Paint system on german cars has a softer clearcoat than US paints.The results you have there Stick are impressive.Cant wait to try it:bounce