PDA

View Full Version : VM & DACP w/ PC questions?

JaCkaL829
05-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Well I ordered the PC bonus kit from coastaltool.com today and now need to get some pads. I looked around a little bit and found on CMA, standard variable contact foam pads(6.5") for only $8.95. That seemed to be the best price out of a couple sites. Anyway I was also reading on CMA that these pads help reduce the product from slinging, I was wondering how effective are they? Also I plan on mainly using my PC with DACP and VM. I`d like to know which 2 of the vc foam pads I should get? I was thinking the cutting(yellow) for DACP and polishing(white) for VM. My last step will be done by hand.

TIA:xyxthumbs

scottabir
05-08-2004, 11:40 PM
I like to use finishing pads for VM. I also dont really get any slinging from any pad with the PC. I usually use either polishing pads (most of the time) and cutting pads with the DACP, depending on how bad the flaw is dictates which pad I use.

If I where buying the pads I would buy polishing pads and finishing pads for the combination you are going to use.

imported_Dave Holmes
05-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Your pad choice sounds good to me, but let me add something. From my experience, unless the car is severely swirled, DACP will work on a polishing pad very well. This often helps eliminate any micro-marring from a cutting pad necessitating follow-up with something milder. This combo is my most used with DACP, as I follow the rule of least aggressive method first. If needed, I can then follow up with Meg`s Swirl Free Polish (#82) on a polishing pad, and top with a finishing pad or by hand. The SFP is really a plus, as it does a really great job adding gloss (VM is probably just as effective).

I`ve found that the VC pads are very easy for me to use, and I don`t have any problem with sling. I apply product to the pad, spread it on the surface with the PC off, then start the PC slow to get it evenly distributed. I crank up the speed from there. This eliminates the chance for sling.

Back to pad selection. I have found that my most used type of pad is a polishing pad. I purchased 6 pads for $45 awhile back, and got 2 of each type. If I had to do it again, I`d get 1 cutting, 3 polishing, and 2 finishing. If limited to only 2 pads, then you`re right with 1 cutting and 1 polishing. But you may find yourself having to wash the polishing pad often if you want to switch products. Or if you find that DACP with a cutting pad is too aggressive, and better/faster results can be had with DACP on a polishing pad. If you could spring for 2 polishing and 1 cutting, I think you`d be really set since you can always apply your last step by hand (like you`d mentioned).

Hope this helps.

Dave

Scottwax
05-09-2004, 03:08 AM
I agree with the others. Normally, DACP will work fine with the polishing pad. I have found that VM works well with both the polishing and finishing pads.