PDA

View Full Version : Done with sealants ... going back "old skool"

imported_NHBFAN
05-08-2004, 05:06 PM
I recently tried the latest rave … the WG twins. In fairness, I didn’t do the best job in prepping due to time limitations, but the final outcome was still fairly impressive and I think I have a good idea of what the WG twins look like now. As good as WG looks, being a fan of carnaubas, just like every other sealant I’ve ever tried, I felt the need to “top” it also.

Sooooooo … I’m going back “old skool”.

The wettest, deepest, shine I’ve ever achieved on my red truck was with the following combo: #82 + #7 + (2x) S100. Guess I have to relearn the #7 application process … it’s been awhile.

I’ll never be done with experimenting though. I still want to try CMW and TS as “toppers”.

Detailing NY
05-08-2004, 05:11 PM
You will like CMW as a topper, easy on & easy off. Works great, it is up there with S100

imported_NHBFAN
05-09-2004, 10:05 AM
NY detailer,

Thanks for the tip on CMW.

Anyone else decided to go the carnauba route?

Scottwax
05-09-2004, 10:20 AM
I like using carnaubas too. Meguiars #16, S100, CMW, Natty Paste, Souveran....all excellent products. I would suggest substituting Meguiars #81 in place of #7 though, much easier wipe off.

imported_NHBFAN
05-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I like using carnaubas too. Meguiars #16, S100, CMW, Natty Paste, Souveran....all excellent products. I would suggest substituting Meguiars #81 in place of #7 though, much easier wipe off.

Scottwax,

I`ll have to do that. Never gave #81 much of a try. I believe I only used it once and thought it was tougher than VM so I put the #81 on the back shelf.

Even though #7 + S100 is the closest I`ve come to "the look" I`m trying to achieve, I have some concerns about the durability of #7 on a daily driver. #81 maybe the ticket:nixweiss

BTW, I experimented with #16 again on my truck and like I said before, it doesn`t seem to have the same "pop" as S100. It`s a fine product, but I think it looks closer to #26 than S100. Kind of a subdued warm look on my flame red truck. Of course the durability of #16 is phenomenal for a carnauba!

Accumulator
05-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

...Anyone else decided to go the carnauba route?

Yeah, I keep it "old school" on the XJS. Last combo was VM/P21S, but I wasn`t happy with it. Maybe I`m just used to how Souveran looks on that car :nixweiss But whatever I decide to use on it next, it`s not gonna be a sealant. There`s just something about glaze and carnauba on ss lacquer...

ben54
05-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Is #81 a glaze or polish? The name on the bottle is "Hand Polish" so I`ve been using it as a polish, but it was quite oily for a polish. I then topped it with 3m finishing glaze, but now I`m thinking that I just used two glazes in a row.

Accumulator
05-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ben54

Is #81 a glaze or polish? The name on the bottle is "Hand Polish" so I`ve been using it as a polish, but it was quite oily for a polish. I then topped it with 3m finishing glaze, but now I`m thinking that I just used two glazes in a row.

Well, the two products are a bit different. The 3M stuff has more abrasives than the Meg`s #81 (which is basically NON-abrasvie) and it has wax in it. But yeah, you`re basically right about their being "two glazes".

The #81 is what many (most?) of us would call a "glaze". It`s a good one, within it`s intended range of applications. It doesn`t leave protection behind, though, so you oughta top it with something.

imported_NHBFAN
05-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Which LC pad would you use to apply #81 after applying #82 SFP?

Scottwax
05-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

Which LC pad would you use to apply #81 after applying #82 SFP?

Whichever one is the finishing pad or you can do it by hand with a foam hand pad. Just remember a little goes a long way and thin coats wipe off more quickly and cleanly than thick ones.

BlueRanger
05-10-2004, 01:54 AM
Would topping 16 with S100 give you the little tinsy winsy edge taht the S100 holds on appearance, or not?

imported_NHBFAN
05-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by BlueRanger

Would topping 16 with S100 give you the little tinsy winsy edge taht the S100 holds on appearance, or not?

BlueRanger,

I wouldn`t describe the difference between #16 and S100 on my red truck as "tinsy winsy", I`d call it significant.

But, as previously discussed you lose "significant" durability comparing S100 to #16.

BlueRanger
05-11-2004, 07:30 PM
My bad, i didnt know it was that huge of a difference (I hadnt noticed), but back to my origional question, if you top 16 with S100, would you get the durability of 16 with the look of s100?

imported_NHBFAN
05-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by BlueRanger

My bad, i didnt know it was that huge of a difference (I hadnt noticed), but back to my origional question, if you top 16 with S100, would you get the durability of 16 with the look of s100?

Many users of #16 don`t think there`s much of a difference in appearance vs S100 (including a respected Autopian that lives in the DFW region), but I don`t know if it`s a consensus or not.

How a wax looks is pretty subjective and I can`t "sign on" with the opinion that #16 is as reflective as S100 ... it`s not been my experience.

To your original question. I`m sure topping #16 with S100 would give the benefits of both products as S100 doesn`t have any cleaning abilities. It would be like topping Collinite with S100, you get the best of both worlds.