PDA

View Full Version : Dealer car wash, is it really THAT bad???

Pages : [1] 2

C-MDX
05-08-2004, 04:13 PM
I know all or most of the people in this forum doesn`t like their car to be wash when they`re having service in the dealership. I told my wife many times to tell them not to wash it. Well, yesterday my wife took the car to the dealer for an oil change and she didn`t tell the service guy to not wash the car and guess what, the car is clean :mad:. I think they only use presure wash, no scrubing or rudding. My question is, if it is just presure wash, is it really THAT big of a deal or is it just something that is bad?? Is it that bad to presure wash every once in a while (about every 4-6 months)?? Do you think it`ll blast away all the protection on the paint (2x NXT)???

JoshABI
05-08-2004, 04:22 PM
It`s not the wash itself that is a problem at the dealers...it is the lack of care for your vehicle that many experience that gives the dealer wash such a bad name.

Unless a dealer actually damages your paint in the process of cleaning, then most things can be repaired with a nice hand wash and another application of your favorite products. But for anyone who has taken a brand new car home after the dealer "prepped" it, only to find swirls and holograms that are the result of a "quantity over quality" dealership culture would die before having their car exposed to the same crew again.

That being said, I`m sure there are a few dealers out there that really do a great job with prep work and detailing....but I have yet to meet one. ;)

slov98
05-08-2004, 04:24 PM
I don`t know what kind of wash the dealership has, if it`s touch free I think that`s fine, I use it occasionally when the car isn`t that dirty, then hand dry it afterwards.

imported_NHBFAN
05-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Why do you think they used a pressure washer?

Most service departments I`ve seen wash with a hose and bucket complete with detergent and some sort of terry cloth towel.

Bill D
05-08-2004, 04:31 PM
All depends how much you care about the possibility of marring the paint. Most people aren`t obsessed with this issue like Autopians are so a dealer wash to them is a good thing. It all boils down to how far you want to go regarding detailing :)

C-MDX
05-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

Why do you think they used a pressure washer?

I was just guessing. When I take my Volvo (old car) to the dealership they used presure wash but I don`t know about this one, hope they`re the same since slov98 said it isn`t that bad :nixweiss

Bill D
05-08-2004, 04:39 PM
:nixweiss I`ve only used a pressure washer on extremely dirty wheel wells and undercarriage. I never used it on the paint out of fear that any dirt or debris would possibly be grinded into the paint :scared but I also simply have an extremely high standard for the condition of my paint

qwik
05-08-2004, 04:50 PM
I feel bad for you if your wife`s car was cleaned at the dealer. I work for a dealer and i`ll give you a little picture of what our cleaning bay looks like

Picture a big red tub with black soapy water and 2 long arm brushes with somewhat soft but more than likely abrasive bristle brushes. Both are used on wheels and fresh paint. We got a car in from down south the other day that had soo many dead bugs on it i thought that perhaps an entire species was taken out. Used that same brush that we use on every car on that.

There is not one, and i repeat not one clean white towel, all are used and have compounds and dirt on them, harsh terry cloth. God forbid we have to wheel something the pads are horribly dirty and most likely different compounds are used on them. We do have shamios we use to clean the cars but they are horribly filthy aswell.

All in all its a craphole washbay with stupid kids that work for 9 bucks and hour and really don`t care about they`re jobs, its not like meguiars ya know.

C-MDX
05-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by qwik

I feel bad for you if your wife`s car was cleaned at the dealer. I work for a dealer and i`ll give you a little picture of what our cleaning bay looks like

Picture a big red tub with black soapy water and 2 long arm brushes with somewhat soft but more than likely abrasive bristle brushes. Both are used on wheels and fresh paint. We got a car in from down south the other day that had soo many dead bugs on it i thought that perhaps an entire species was taken out. Used that same brush that we use on every car on that.

There is not one, and i repeat not one clean white towel, all are used and have compounds and dirt on them, harsh terry cloth. God forbid we have to wheel something the pads are horribly dirty and most likely different compounds are used on them. We do have shamios we use to clean the cars but they are horribly filthy aswell.

All in all its a craphole washbay with stupid kids that work for 9 bucks and hour and really don`t care about they`re jobs, its not like meguiars ya know.

Me ==> :scared :rolleyes: :eek: :sosad :shocked :angry :grrr :wall

Bill D
05-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

I told him that I would just as soon key a persons car, as send them to a dealer for a detail.

I couldn`t have said it better :bow

Spilchy
05-08-2004, 05:36 PM
While driving to school the other day I saw a guy pressure washing to Volvos at one of the highway dealerships in my area.

It`s the luck of the draw if "you" will get crappy detail / prep / wash service at a dealer. Most of the time you do unfortunately. My folks got brand new 04 BMW 325xi and it was dealer prepped. You know, outside of one little hologram on the roof, the car was flawless, ultra slick and very well done.

Detailing NY
05-08-2004, 06:02 PM
I have bought 2 new vehicles within the last year, I have told both dealerships I am not signing ownership papers until i see the vehicle. I made both sales people aware not to wash or prep the vehicle as i will do it myself

Both cars came to me looking so bad my wife did not think they were new. not a swirl on my car though!

When i go in for service, i use a water marker and write on the vehicle do not wash, you wash you buy. dealer laughs all the time. Dealer has asked me many times to detail for him, I have turned him down each time as they want to pay me so bad i would not be making any money. They offered me $75 for a full detail. NO WAY!

Bill D
05-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by NY detailer

I have bought 2 new vehicles within the last year, I have told both dealerships I am not signing ownership papers until i see the vehicle. I made both sales people aware not to wash or prep the vehicle as i will do it myself

That`s what I did and I am SO glad i did :xyxthumbs

qwik
05-08-2004, 11:48 PM
If someone came up to me and told me they were a detailer for a car dealership i would have responded with "oh so you wash and dry cars eh?" There is NO detailing involved, unless they are refering to the level of detail that is NOT applied.

stainbuster
05-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Interesting thread. I was out looking for another Volvo today (indie lot, not a Volvo dealer), had my digi cam just in case I saw something the wife might like to go back and see. Part of my hike around the dealers` lot took me by the wash bay. Here`s what I :eek: and couldn`t resist a snapshot:

This dealer is closed today (Sunday), so apparently, when the whistle blew the crew flew...

Note where the wash brush is...:nixweiss