PDA

View Full Version : can an unbalanced pad....

scottabir
05-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Can an unbalanced pad on a rotary cause "hologram" marks? I am having a trouble getting pads to be centered properly on the rotary, and I noticed light hologram marks on my hood (black car of course ;) ) Some VM hid the marks very easily but I was wondering if it was my technique or if the pads could cause them? It was using Meg`s polishing pad and SFP @ about 1100 RPMS. I didnt get the marks from Menzerna IP/FP.

Thanks for any advice/opinions.

imported_Greg
05-08-2004, 03:52 PM
From my experience, I get holograms when I move too quickly. At that speed, its doesn`t generate that much friction as to be worried about burning through the paint, so maybe slow it down a bit? I don`t know to tell you the truth.

stilez
05-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Make sure you utilize Meguiar`s diminishing abrasives correctly.

I have had problems like this on weaker clearcoats with SFP, rotary, polishing pad.

In a nutshell when I polish a section, I overlap each sweep by 50%. I go from moderate pressure, to medium, and finish up with barely applying more pressure than the rotary it`s self. By this time, the product has fully worked itself in and barely leaves any residue to remove.

Give it a try.

scottabir
05-08-2004, 10:48 PM
hmm that is interesting about softer c.c. I noticed my mazda seems to have a pretty soft one. I didnt press down hardly at all at first maybe and obviously I didnt lighten up (already light :D) I`ll have to go back at it tomorrow...right now buffing in a good thunderstorm isnt my idea of smart...

Greg,

You are also probably right about me moving to fast. I did move it pretty fast across the surface.

Thanks for the ideas I appreciate them.