PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Scratch-X

Pages : [1] 2

hrspwr00v6
05-08-2004, 01:52 AM
I`ve never actually polished by hand, and i`m assuming scratch-x is a very, very fine polish. would i be correct in assuming that i would have to use back and forth motions in the application, until the product disappears?

if not please enlighten someone who has a WHOLE DAY dedicated to washing and detailing the beastly thing i drive.

if you want you can IM me on aim. sith1701e

Thanks guys!

LouisanaJeeper
05-08-2004, 02:14 AM
actually Scratch X is a moderatley agressive polish, I would not use it over your entire finish

Meg`s DACP or 3M fine cut or Meg`s swirl mark remover would probably be a better option

hrspwr00v6
05-08-2004, 02:24 AM
well the entire finish is all swirled up... and i have nothing else :(

would it be safe to use just once?

04BlackAV
05-08-2004, 07:04 AM
It say`s right on it to use for spot repair or the entire vehicle,will not add more scratches.I`ve used it for touching up a scratch and a whole panel before.You really have to work it a lot,sometimes hitting it 4 or 5 times to get rid of a moderate scratch.

hrspwr00v6
05-08-2004, 10:27 AM
should i clay before using this product or will the polish act as a clay?

jasonatv22
05-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by hrspwr00v6

should i clay before using this product or will the polish act as a clay?

Dude, you so need to read for a while before touching your car.

Click learn up there.

Highly recommend reading How To Wash (how you got your swirls), and then the clay one, and the polish one.

I will vouch that ScratchX is good for taking care of big things, but it leaves little scratches when done by hand, at least by me. It`s hard to break it down by hand.

Go mild. Since your new, just get Mothers or Meguiars 1-2-3 thing.

hrspwr00v6
05-08-2004, 11:44 AM
i`ve got zaino that i`m going to put on after i rewash (zaino cant have oils correct?)

its working so far.... and no new scratches

JoshABI
05-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Postwood

Dude, you so need to read for a while before touching your car.

Click learn up there.

Go mild. Since your new, just get Mothers or Meguiars 1-2-3 thing.

I found most of what you said up there just a tad rude, Postwood. You were nice enough to say that Scratch-X wouldn`t work, but your product recommendations are limited to, "get Mothers or Meguiar`s 1-2-3 thing."

To answer the original question, yes you can use Scratch-X on your entire car just as the bottle says. It`s not a very easy product to work with and there are products more suitable for your task, but if you are in a pinch, it can be done. You may experience slight hazing or micro-marring as a result of the Scratch-X, and that will need to be polished out with a milder product, like Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Polish (The #2 in the 3-step process). But if you are going to buy another product to use after the Scratch-X, then I would recommend not using the Scratch-X at all and get a better product that is easier to work with.

Try it out...see how it works for you. That`s really the only way to tell.

Corey Bit Spank
05-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by StickKing1

I found most of what you said up there just a tad rude, Postwood. You were nice enough to say that Scratch-X wouldn`t work, but your product recommendations are limited to, "get Mothers or Meguiar`s 1-2-3 thing."

To answer the original question, yes you can use Scratch-X on your entire car just as the bottle says. It`s not a very easy product to work with and there are products more suitable for your task, but if you are in a pinch, it can be done. You may experience slight hazing or micro-marring as a result of the Scratch-X, and that will need to be polished out with a milder product, like Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Polish (The #2 in the 3-step process). But if you are going to buy another product to use after the Scratch-X, then I would recommend not using the Scratch-X at all and get a better product that is easier to work with.

Try it out...see how it works for you. That`s really the only way to tell.

:xyxthumbs

Lets try to help people out and not talk down to them. If you can`t give advice without ridicule, don`t post your advice until you have figured out how you can. :)

With that said, if you are working by hand you`re not going to want to polish out all of the swirls. It`s a ton of work. I`d go with Meguiars #9 Swirl Mark Remover (many auto stores are carrying the Meguiars professional line, in the tan colored bottles). Use a cotton terry towel to apply (terry towels have more bite than foam wax applicators). Folded over a few times into a small rectangle or square. You may want to clay before this (I won`t get into how to clay, there are good threads if you search, I guarantee you that) if the paint is not smooth--it`s a lot of work to not do a full job. Work the product in back and forth motions over the paint, creating some warm heat, until it is almost clear. Wipe immediatly with a 100% cotton towel, or a good microfiber if you have them. Generally you want to work in motions that are parallel to the way the air flows over the car (headlight to windshield on the hood, not fender to fender). Follow with a good wax without cleaners so you don`t clean the filling properties #9 has along with the polishing.

You may want to take note of towels and drying technique as it may help your swirl mark problem in the future.:wavey

I`m sorry if some previous people were not respectful, please don`t judge the whole board like that. We`re here to help, and most of us really enjoy doing so. :)

hrspwr00v6
05-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the tips Corey. I was going from headlight to windshield motions until the stuff started to come off then i`d wipe with a 100% cotton towel.

the paint was in pretty good shape save for the front and back bumper so i clayed those before i used the polish. I had to wash with dawn afterwards though. because you cant apply zaino over wax and oils.

so far its looking great!

my swirl problem came from me wiping the car down with z6 one night when i couldn`t really see what i was doing when i was mad :( . but thats okay. i`m slowly working on the problem!

hrspwr00v6
05-08-2004, 02:43 PM
ohh btw. i`ve been lurking on this site for many months. i know what i `should` use. and have made up my mind what i`m going to use when i have the money to buy the stuff and a PC.

Corey Bit Spank
05-08-2004, 03:35 PM
You know, this Zaino and Klasse logic annoys me. I think it`s only to get you to buy another one of their products. I`m sure you can apply it like UPP, blackfire, EX-P, NXT, and the like over many other products and get the same durability.

:o

hrspwr00v6
05-08-2004, 03:54 PM
not sure what you mean there.

i was always told to strip all the wax off because it has to bond with the actual pain :shrugs: i dunno

slov98
05-08-2004, 04:30 PM
I used sratchX to take off spots in my paint,it actually worked so I did the whole car with it, takes a while but I like to do it.

Apply it one section, or half panel at a time, even coats,apply some pressure if necessary, then buff it off with a microfiber towel immediatelly.

hrspwr00v6
05-08-2004, 05:28 PM
pics are forthcomming soon