PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Meguiar`s #26 in a tin can

ddolat
05-07-2004, 02:26 PM
I went to a local parts store to buy some #26 and they were out of the paste wax which usually comes in a plastic container with a foam applicator. I asked the clerk at the counter if they had any more in the back and he went and brought back a tin can of this stuff. I bought it because it looks kind of cool, but now I`m not sure if I should use it or keep it and buy another newer container. How long is wax good for? Is this the same formula as the newer conatiner? Is there a way to figure out how old this wax is?

MattZ28
05-07-2004, 02:33 PM
If they`re both paste wax (I know there`s liquid and paste, but I get what you`re saying), I doubt they would be any different, but let`s wait until one of the experts chime in.

SpoiledMan
05-07-2004, 03:27 PM
I think Mike Phillips said that they would be switching to the tins once again. I guess they are on the market now.

2wheelsx2
05-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Yeah, there was some quality control problems with the plastic tubs. I got one of the bad ones. The wax would streak like crazy no matter what I did. I think they went back to tin because the plastic tubs were what was causing the problem. Had something to do with temperature at which the wax was poured in, I think.

ddolat
05-07-2004, 05:01 PM
The tin I got has the same design as the blue #16 can I`ve seen in posts in this forum except its yellow, black, and sliver. I don`t think it is new because it was really dusty and had a little rust on the bottom and on the lip of the top. The wax itself is yellow, looks solid and smooth, and has a sweet smell. My concern is wither this stuff is still good or not. Does anyone know when they switched to the plastic containers?

I`m glad they are going back to the metal cans, they look a lot better.

blackntan
05-07-2004, 05:06 PM
It`s wax, I don`t think it has a shelf life!

Try it and find out! Worst case scenerio, remove it and put something else on!

MattZ28
05-07-2004, 05:09 PM
My dad has "kit" wax in a tin from ohhhh say, 35 years ago? Still plenty left and still works fine :eek:

ddolat
05-07-2004, 07:18 PM
I`m going to try it out on Sunday, I already put a coat of COLORx on the truck yesterday.

I called the Meguiar`s toll-free number and they told me the shelf life was about 5 to 7 years.

Jesstzn
05-07-2004, 10:22 PM
I have some #26 left in a tin from before and a new plastic one .. I didn`t see any difference between the 2. But then I haven`t used either in a bit. Is there a recall?? hahahahaha.

2wheelsx2
05-08-2004, 06:40 AM
I don`t know if there`s a recall as such, but Mike Phillips replaced the #26 for several of us here. I was one of the lucky ones! :p

paco
05-08-2004, 06:57 AM
I thought I heard that too that the plastic version was going away due to Quality Control issue`s but just yesterday I saw Gold Class in a plastic container at Canadian Tire.

Personally, I like the tins better.

Paco