PDA

View Full Version : How do you wash your Car COVER???

pwraudio1
05-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi, I`m new to this Forum, it looks very cool! Well to my ????. I have a NOAH car cover for my BMW and want to know how I can wash it... The car and cover is on inside a shop only... It is covered in dust! How can I get it back to like new shape?

thanks for your time,

Matt M, PA
05-07-2004, 01:31 PM
I have washed car covers....used Woolite and cold water.

You`ll need to use a big machine at a laundramat...then dry with cool-warm air.

Accumulator
05-07-2004, 02:06 PM
pwraudio1- Welcome to Autopia! I`ve washed them with regular laundry detergent and warm water, also at the laundermat in their biggest machine. I rinsed it an extra time, too. Take a look while it`s rinsing and make sure all the suds are gone. I`d keep the dryer temp sorta low, the NOAH fabric dries out pretty well with low heat. A *little* residual dampness doesn`t seem to hurt any if your car is perfectly clean when you put the cover on.

I *did* find that the NOAH fabric seemed to shrink a little bit. Not enough that it didn`t fit OK, but enough that you could tell. Maybe from not using cold water or air-drying :nixweiss

togwt
05-07-2004, 02:10 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Maintenance- periodically protects the cover from ultra violet radiation (UVR) by lightly spraying the surface with a UVR protecterant while the cover is on the car.

Covers should be taken to a commercial Laundromat and washed in large automatic washers without agitator. Use Woolite (no soap or detergent). Wash your cover using the "Normal" or "Permanent Press" cycles in cold or warm water. Do not wash in hot water. Put the cover through two rinse cycles - it is important that the entire cleaning solution be removed in order to preserve the cover`s water resistance, and then air dry. Do not put the cover in an automatic dryer (the fabric can melt). Do not dry clean covers.

Usage tips- never put a cover on a dirty or wet car (dry with a waffle weave towel, remove dust with a car duster) ensure the cover fits well, keep the cover clean including the inside, wash often, purchase a high quality cover that is made of a durable multi-ply fabric material.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

Bill D
05-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Yeah , unfortunately you`ll need to go to a laundramat with a Noah :( I`ll bet you`ll be in for some curious stares from the other people there :D

METICULOUSMAN
05-07-2004, 02:52 PM
How often do you guys clean your covers? All I really do is spot treat mine like bird bombs and such. My cover is 20` long and what a PITA it was to machine wash it.

MattZ28
05-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Whatever you do, don`t put it in the dryer....mine melted :D

Prometheus
05-07-2004, 03:05 PM
If you just want to get most of the dust and dirt out, its almost easier to just fill up a big bucket (and i mean like big, a rubbermaid container works well, or one of those `industrial size` laundry baskets) and wash it by hand. I dont mean by hand by hand, but mix in some detergent and use a mild brush on problem spots and clean it that way. Only problem with that is you have to be sure to rinse it out really well. I usually wash mine in the spring right after winter, and then again right after summer. It stays pretty clean, but it cant hurt to clean it.

Bill D
05-07-2004, 03:08 PM
I just spot treat the Noah in the areas where the tires rub. I`m going to give some APC+ a shot. I haven`t had to wash the Weathershield yet since almost all of the time the car is garaged. However, I also had a Weathershield for the last car I had and I washed it in the home washing machine using powder type detergent per directions.

pwraudio1
05-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks, I`ll go to laundramat and use Woolite!