PDA

View Full Version : Clay or Polish

FryeBaby
05-07-2004, 11:11 AM
I will be detailing a older car (Buick) for my mom-in-law for mother`s day. I was wondering if it was worth claying before using polish on the paint to clean it up. The paint is in fair condition with some oxidation. I will be using 1Z polishes. I bought all 3. I`m thinking of starting with the Ultra polish. But is there any use claying this car first or is it a waste of time on a older car that hasn`t been detailed very often. Thanks for the advice, Wes.

2wheelsx2
05-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Claying is never a wasted step. However, if the oxidation is really really bad, then I would actually polish before claying, as you are going to polish away most of the dead paint before you can get to the fresh paint.

Accumulator
05-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Unless the Buick is so old that it`s single-stage, I`d clay it first. I`ve never had so much oxidation with b/c that I had to polish first. If it *is* ss paint, then I`d probably clay the vertical surfaces first anyhow. IMO it`s usually the horizontal surfaces that get so oxidized that you`re just wasting clay.

Be a *little* careful with that UP, it has a bit of cut to it. You don`t want to go through on the thin spots. Maybe use PP first, then go back and hit the spots that still look bad with some UP. That way you`ll only use the aggressive stuff where it`s really needed. Plan on at least two tries with PP on everything anyhow. So that would be-

-PP X 2 on entire vehicle (unless one pass does it)

-UP on remaining marring, followed by PP to remove UP`s micromarring

-MP on entire vehicle

Don`t worry, it`ll go faster than you might think; the 1Z stuff is pretty user-friendly.

jasonatv22
05-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Since this seems to be, literally, granny`s oxidized beater, I think I`d cleaner/polish pre-clay. It`s just safer and a Buick isn`t a small car. Unless she has a Riatta, which I severely doubt.

I really need to try the 1Z line, as I`m totally ignorant of them and they do, at least the Glanz, seem to be odd and alien.