PDA

View Full Version : How long before an engine gets dirty?

beanbag
05-07-2004, 04:18 AM
To be honest, I don`t open the hood of my car a lot. Maybe once a month or less to check the oil level. Anyway, I was wondering if I clean and "detail" the engine compartment (e.g. shiny up the rubber hoses and metal), how long before the engine compartment gets all dirty and nasty again?

Lowejackson
05-07-2004, 04:33 AM
As with many things, once you have completly cleaned the engine etc, it is much easier to keep clean.

As for how often the engine gets dirty, it all depends on how often you drive and through what conditions.

Buick_guy
05-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Yup to be honest, its impossible to tell how long a engine bay will stay clean. Since its just like projecting the weather. It can`t be done properly.

jasonatv22
05-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Different cars, or differnt aerodynamic setups, get different at different rates.

Once, I had removed the under engine sheild from my car because I was cleaning the bottom of the engine. I had to run an errand and when I came back, the inside of the engine bay was covered in road dust.

Many people just wipe the dirt off with a rag on a regular basis and don`t worry about deep cleaning, as it`s not needed. I bought my car used and I have a cam angle sensor o-ring leak, so I have to do a little cleaning.

(And don`t any of you Miata people tell me how easy it is to replace the CAS O-ring, I`m getting around to it eventually. :D )

Accumulator
05-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Postwood

Different cars, or differnt aerodynamic setups, get different at different rates...

Heh heh, ain`t that the truth!?! My `85 XJS is a whole different ballgame than my Audis and the Mazda.

If you don`t have any oil leaks or other such problems (oily vapors are just a killer), then once you get it clean, it should only take a few minutes during each wash to keep it that way.