PDA

View Full Version : Spots on Wheels, Pls Help....

Badak
05-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Hi all,

I have been browsing the forum for a while but haven`t got the chance to join it till today.

I am having these spots all over my wheels.... I just got these wheels and they are not clearcoated. I just polished it with blue magic stuff 2 weeks ago and when I was waching the car just now, these spots didn`t come off....

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mna/IMG_0937.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mna/IMG_0938.jpg

Anyone has experience with this problem?

Thanks

Lowejackson
05-07-2004, 04:08 AM
To me, it looks like corrosion. If I am correct, the wheels would need to be repainted

togwt
05-07-2004, 07:16 AM
Aluminum Wheel Polishing:

Uncoated (no clear coat or paint finish) magnesium or aluminum wheels can be polished with a water-soluble polish (Groit’s Mag Wheel & Aluminum Polish) For difficult to reach places use a felt polishing cone on an electric drill (Groit’s Felt polishing Felt Cone Set)

MikeD
05-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Definately corrosion. There is a very quick way to get it off but its dangerous a little. Muratic Acid is a solvent for aluminum. Sometimes if you (wear gloves) put muratic acid on a towel or applicator, and quickly wipe and rinse, it will remove the oxidization and the you can follow up with a good polish. Leave the acid on for even 5 seconds to long, and its bye-bye-finish. I have polished aluminum wheels on a motorcycle with no clear, even a water spot left for a day seems to leave a semi-perm mark on the wheel. When i get the chance im gonna have the repolished again and cleared. It runs about $120-200. maybe you might do the same for your wheels, if you like them enough.

togwt
05-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Quote: There is a very quick way to get it off but its dangerous a little. Muratic Acid

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Muritic acid MIGHT be a little strong for aluminium wheels surfaces (muritic acid is used to prepare a concrete surface before applying a finish)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*