PDA

View Full Version : I disappointed myself today.......A story of ungratification.....

Pages : [1] 2 3

a.k.a. Patrick
05-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Some of you had replied to a thread i started about a friend, who`s daughter decided to wash dads Camry....with a Scotchbrite pad. (Heavy Duty nonetheless)....

I went over last wknd to preinspect it, took out some DACP, 3M SMR, followed with VM all by hand, then a quick Carnauba to hold him over....He and his wife were simply stunned at what proper products can do, they actually wanted "what I have" to maintain it.....

Well today was do or die day, i think i died...I really set myself up for a complete paint repair with the DACP and PC. I spoke to Anthony Orasco, he gave me some tips, which im always grateful for...

So I went ahead and clayed all horizontal surfaces, and hit it with DACP, front to back at about 4.0, then side to side about 4.5, then front to back again at about 5.5, then side to side at 6.0. I let the product work itself, practically until it disappeared. I hit all horizontal surfaces in this fashion....Then onto 3M SMR, side to side, front to back at various workable speeds, again until product nearly disappeared. After hitting it with 3M, I thought it looked pretty good, and then I looked again at various angles. It appeared all my efforts were for none. It looked nearly as horrible as when I first started. So I thought, “what do I have that may be just a tad more aggressive.” (Now that I think about it, this is where I should have whipped out the SSR3, but it never occurred to me at the moment.) I have one more product which I thought would do the trick, 3M Finesse it Fine cut compound. So I loaded up the pad, a yellow megs, and hit it again in the same DACP fashion. Nothing……..Do I give up ? I was soooo disappointed at that moment. I took out the VM, put a nice coat on, then hit it with some Platinum protection with a finishing pad, waited an hr, watched some Nascar racing, saw the #20 car nearly take out Gordon and Wallace within 5 laps of each other. (Why does Home Depot support this clown, anyway….)Wiped off the Plat which I love the crap out of, even in light of the new Wolfgang products which I was set to use…..My buddy came out and looked, I think I could tell he was a little disappointed too, I think…..Then he went on to say, that while I had all “the fancy polishers and products, to go ahead and do the entire outside….So, I took out the Meg’s ColorX, which I love, used a ylw Megs pad, and got familiar with all the side panels and bumpers….All went well….Im just so disappointed with all the horizontals and scratches !!! Anyway, heres some before and afters, the after shot is before the final wipedown, but you can see all of the smaller swirls and scratches were removed……

a.k.a. Patrick
05-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Heres the after, sorry i couldnt put them together, im an idiot !! This was before my final wipedown.....

Buick_guy
05-02-2004, 09:06 PM
OK, first, how the heck did you expect to get those things out? That paint was destroyed, I don`t think you would be able to get those out with even the best products you could ever find.

JasonC8301
05-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Don`t get down on you`re self. The PC can only do SO much. It reaches a point where it either comes rotary or repaint.

Ever since getting my rotary and reading/practicing how to use it, I only use my PC now for final polishing or on a new/almost new car. Anything else I seem to reach for my rotary.

I doubt a PC can fully remove those marks unless you had a lot of patience and stronger pads.

A PC makes good paint great, but don`t fully set out and expect miracle with it. It does have its limits. It does have a fast learning curve though.

With a rotary the chance for error is so much higher.

Detailing NY
05-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Jason is right, a rotary is much more powerful, and really gets out what the pc cant. But your pix show that the paint is crap to begin with. It looks like it has pebble chips everywhere.

You are a detailer not a miracle worker. :)

kustomsol
05-02-2004, 10:05 PM
You need an everovin` blue-eyed miracle to clean that up. Nice try.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-02-2004, 10:51 PM
It looks like it has pebble chips everywhere. It does from that pic huh....Its actrually just some dust from the vaious products i had been using, and from that freeeeking Megs ylw pad, which was new yesterday ! Its shot ! I need a new pad supplier.......

imported_KevinA
05-03-2004, 07:08 AM
That paint was in bad shape before it was scrubbed.

Great effort!

imported_Aurora40
05-03-2004, 08:49 AM
I`ve noticed that DACP works much better on deep scratches with the red cutting pad than with the yellow polishing pad. However, even then all I can do with the PC is reduce their appearance a lot. But they aren`t totally removed. A Scotch-Brite pad would put some serious scratches in paint (my sister did that once to remove bug guts). I really don`t think a PC can tackle that kind of damage.

JustinR32
05-03-2004, 10:16 AM
By the photo, that`s a job for Mr Paint Gun.

But, I`d beat on it hard with the PC, DACP, and a wool pad first, then DACP with a cutting pad, then DACP with a finishing pad, Menzerna IP, and Menzerna FP.

Tom

breakneckvtec
05-03-2004, 12:03 PM
I wouldnt get down, as others said that paint was from hell, and you really did a good job with what you had to work with. If a rotary was at your disposal I am sure you would have gotten it better. When I saw the first pic my initial thought was repaint. When I saw the second, I thought its got hope. You went as far as your products would allow. Be proud...

Yeah, the #20 car has some nerve, that guy supposedly threw the bird at another driver during a caution lap. Home depot needs to drop them...

2wheelsx2
05-03-2004, 01:05 PM
You might consider wetsanding, and then reworking again with Compound Power cleaner, and then DACP? Those scratches look plenty deep, and it`s not like you`re going to hurt it any more than it already is.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-03-2004, 03:36 PM
2wheels, I aint even going there, thats way out of my league.....

2wheelsx2
05-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Oh, I see. Well, in that case, you`re better off leaving it alone. At least that guy will know to keep his kids away from the car with scouring pads now. :(

hawkfish
05-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Why are you disappointed?

Even if it is not new car quality, It looks much better than it did.

Sometimes the effort is more important than the results.!!