PDA

View Full Version : After wash, clay, polish and wax, car still have light swirl marks all over. Help!!

hon423
05-02-2004, 03:10 PM
here is the two procedure I used.

Washed (meguiar gold class wash)

Clay (mother)

paint Cleaner (meguiar step 1) white pad

Deep Crystal Polish (meguiar step 2)yellow pad

NXT tech wax grey pad

Washed (meguiar gold class wash)

Clay (mother)

Intensive polish (Menzerna) white pad

Final polish (Menzerna) yellow pad

NXT tech wax grey pad

all pads are standard pads from properautocare.com

cleaner, polish and wax applied by PC7424 at speed 4, all product applied till it clear, buff off by hand.

after trying both procedure, car still have light swirl mark all over. What did i do wrong?

I also 3M SMR, and 3M perfect it II rubbing compund (fine cut). I am not sure if i want to use these for light swirl mark.. :nixweiss

below are the pics for view

Swirl Mark pics

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4pkst/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dsc00614.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4pkst/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dsc00605.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4pkst/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dsc00608.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4pkst/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dsc00610.jpg

Please help!!!!

Logik
05-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Looks like your products just weren`t agressive enough, or your method of application wasn`t agressive enough. Kudos on the reflectivity and depth of your paint though, from the pictures that are farther that 1ft away, it looks perfect.

hon423
05-02-2004, 05:47 PM
any recommendation on product or method of application are welcome.. thanks

imported_edschwab1
05-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Which brand yellow pad are you referring too?

Eric

hon423
05-02-2004, 06:18 PM
standard pads from properautocare.com

imported_eggroll
05-02-2004, 06:29 PM
You might have gotten the marring from using FP with the yellow pad. Try using the yellow pad with IP, and the white pad with FP.

hon423
05-02-2004, 06:41 PM
according to properautocare web site,

White pad = Polishing Pad

Yellow pad= Cutting Pad

did i use the wrong pad with the wrong product??

please let me know!! thanks

04BlackAV
05-02-2004, 06:50 PM
I think you got your pads backwards.

IP...cutting or polishing pad.

FP...polishing pad.

imported_eggroll
05-02-2004, 06:51 PM
The yellow,cutting pad is more aggressive and coarse than the white pad.

You move down in aggressiveness with the polishes, the same method should be applied with PC pads.

You could do IP w/ white pad, then move onto FP with white pad. Or IP w/ yellow pad, and FP w/ white pad. Whatever you choose, don`t finish up with the yellow pad.

ZaneO
05-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Yes, you need to use the yellow pad with the IP and the white pad with the FP.

You should be very pleased after that.

Prometheus
05-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Meguiars #9 swirl remover works well, not real agressive, but gets most stuff out. If that doesnt work, step it up to Scratch X or #2 (i think it is, dont remember exactly, but you definately dont want #1). All of em can be done with a buffer (havent tried scratchx with buffer though) or by hand, itll just take a lot longer. Ive had pretty good results with #9, took out almost all the spiderwebs and stuff off, and my cars black. I would prolly go #9, Scratch X, #2 in that order if it needs it. I dont think it will, but it never hurts. If you do end up doing #2 or SCratch X, i recommend going over everything with #9 anyway just to buff out anythink SCratchX or #2 may have put it. A little insurance never hurt anybody. Well, thats my $.02. Good luck

Beercan31
05-02-2004, 07:45 PM
May I ask what are you using to remove the wax with ?

You may want to consider using a good quality micro fiber towel or a high quality terry cloth, this may be where the scratches are coming from. and there should only a medium to light amount of pressure to remove the product.

hon423
05-03-2004, 12:17 PM
I use terry cloth to remove the wax.

Thanks for all the help.. just one more question..

Is it necessary to wipe down the car with alcohol/water after polishing?? what`s the purpose of this step??

imported_eggroll
05-03-2004, 12:48 PM
It`s used to remove fillers, FP doesn`t have fillers so no need for this step.

shaf
05-03-2004, 10:50 PM
hon423, if I can comment, one thing that you should remember to do next time is to try the first step on a section first, stop and examine the results, and then decide what to do from there. If you`re getting the results you want, keep going. But if you`re not getting the swirls out, stop and come up with plan B, which should be slightly more aggressive.

This way you don`t waste all the time and effort to get all the way to the wax stage only to find out you didn`t accomplish what you wanted. If it`s not becoming perfect early on, glazing and waxing probably won`t do it either.