PDA

View Full Version : Seal fix and restore

imported_buffer
05-02-2004, 08:45 AM
I picked up a sunroof from one of the local junkers and it has some damage that I am in the process of fixing. Two things that I don`t know how to fix at this point are....

1) The seal scratches

2) Small hole in the seal

First off.... Is there anything I can do to restore the original smoothness of the rubber seal? I tried rubbing it gently with 2500 grit sandpaper but that didn`t work. I can`t really think of anything off hand.

Second... There is a small hole in the seal. Is there a kit of sorts that anyone has seen to help me fix this?

Thanks guys

:xyxthumbs

Jesstzn
05-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Try rubbing the seal down with Rubbing Alcohol. You should see a black residue come off .. do this a few times a couple of hours apart.. when you get no black treat it wit 303 or the likes.

For the hole go to a local glass shop they usually have butyl compounds there they might be able to help.

imported_buffer
05-02-2004, 12:10 PM
when you get no black treat it wit 303 or the likes

Not too sure what the above means. What do you mean "When you get not black..." Do you mean when there is no black on the cloth from wiping? What is 303?

Thanks

2wheelsx2
05-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Answering for Dee here, but yes, when there is no residue on the cloth, which means you would have cleaned off all of the "dead" rubber residue. 303 is 303 Aerospace Protectant.

dcswd
05-02-2004, 12:45 PM
the rubber seal probably has a lot of dirt and other contaminants around it. Using rubbing alcohol on it will remove this. When you don`t see any more black stuff comming off onto your cloth, you know that section is clean.

303 is "303 Aerospace Protect". http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

It is an excellent water based Protestant. It "revitalizes" the rubber and gives it UV protection.

Send them $5 and they will give you a 2oz sample of 303 aerospace protectant, along with other products of theirs. Those 2ozs would be plenty to treat your rubber seal if you decided to use this stuff.

Here is the link:

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=freesample