PDA

View Full Version : 1z Polishes: Handjob or Sears orbital?

dpreuss
05-02-2004, 02:29 AM
Well, I am going to order the 1z ultra polish and paint polish, along with Klasse AIO, and was wondering if I should apply them by hand or use my craftsman orbital. I know i should have a PC, but i just can`t afford it right now. If i should use the orbital, what bonnet should I use? It comes with terry cloth bonnets, which is what I have been applying wax with, and one simulated wool bonnet, which i have not used at all. What do you guys think? Also, are the 1z polishes good, or would 3M compound be better, such as perfect-it II? Please help! Thanks.

scottabir
05-02-2004, 02:47 AM
I would def. stick to the 1z polishes, I am a firm believer in the ease of use by hand of these products. I would try them by hand first and then try them with your orbital next with a terry bonnet.

Hope this helps.

canisestinvia
05-02-2004, 08:04 AM
watch out for those bonnets. They might be damaging your paint more than helping. I don`t believe that they are of autopian quality.

Accumulator
05-02-2004, 10:20 AM
I like the 1Z polishes a lot better than anything from 3M if you`re *not* working with high-grade machines. I sorta prefer them when I *am* working with good machines, too.

I too would use them by hand. I sure wouldn`t want any unknown-quality terry touching *my* paint (so I dunno about useing them for waxing, either) and that synthetic wool one should *NOT* be used.

dpreuss
05-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks for your help. I hope that I didn`t do anything to screw up my paint with those bonnets when i applied the wax, didn`t see anything though, so I hope I`m good. Does anyone know where I could get some quality terry cloth bonnets? Also, would it be safe to apply the 1z paint polish over the enitre car, just for the initial application, or would it take off too much of the clear? Please help! Thanks.

dcswd
05-02-2004, 12:27 PM
you can use the paint polish on the whole car

I`ve also seen some foam bonnets at pepboys. I dont know what the quality on them is, but they might work really well for you.

04BlackAV
05-02-2004, 12:30 PM
I`ve used 1Z PP over the whole car and spot work.I have caused some hazing in spots by rubbing to hard and was fixed by going over with 1Z MP.

kbshadow
05-02-2004, 12:53 PM
I use one of those Sears buffers and it works very well for me.

My paint is in very good shape and it is light duty so it works fine.

I have found that it will not do the job of a PC on the heavy duty stuff but it is more fun and does a better more even job than by hand.

I did throw away the terry bonnets and got some foam ones at Pep Boys.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Stockton Ca

SpoiledMan
05-02-2004, 01:38 PM
I used and still have (for quickies) a Sears 11" for years with no complaints. Customers have loved the end product. It`s been all about working with and using the right products. Only problem has been that if ANYTHING gets on the terry bonnets, it will cause a lot of "fishhook" marring. Be very careful of that. I also have had a B&D 6138 as my backup and now added a PC to the mix.

Practice with the products and see what you get.

evor1
05-02-2004, 11:05 PM
I tried the 1Z Metalic Polish and the 1Z Paint Polish by hand and had a fair amount of hazing on my Black Mustang.:scared

I pulled the PC out and used the 1Z products and all I can say is wow. All the micr0scratches I had are now gone!

Accumulator
05-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by sveet

I tried the 1Z Metalic Polish and the 1Z Paint Polish by hand and had a fair amount of hazing ...I pulled the PC out and used the 1Z products and all I can say is wow. All the micr0scratches I had are now gone!

Yeah, if you`re gonna use the 1z polishes by hand, you gotta work them enough to break down their abrasives. It can be hard to tell when they`re broken down since the polishes stay so "wet" but will still dry/haze like a cleaner-wax if you let them (even before they`re broken down) . SOOOO much easier with a machine. But still about as easy as polishes get by hand.