PDA

View Full Version : Clay a new car??

Rubber Ducky
05-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Just picked up `04 330i, sapphire black. Intend WG folby Souverain. Do I need to clay? (car has about 15 miles on it).

LouisanaJeeper
05-01-2004, 07:58 PM
yes

Z71OffRoad
05-01-2004, 08:15 PM
I would. I just clayed my new one last saturday and I cant beleive how much different and smoother the paint felt.

I say YES.

TN9thSi
05-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Yes, claying would be a good idea. Just because it`s a "new" car with very few miles doesn`t mean it hasn`t been subjected to the elements. Rail dust, industrial fall out and general airborne contaminents still find their way onto the car`s paint.

Beercan31
05-01-2004, 10:16 PM
When vehicles are transported from the manufacturer by rail, iron dust particles created by friction between train wheels and the track settle on the finish. When exposed to oxygen and moisture, this dust corrodes and become embedded in the finish.

Paint contamination can be felt as a "rough or gritty" texture on the paint`s surface and can lead to tiny rust spots. This contamination can not be removed by washing, waxing and/or polishing.

These totally non-abrasive bars safely and quickly remove surface contamination, rail dust, industrial fallout and overspray by “pulling†if off the surface. Use prior to polishing and waxing

kustomsol
05-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Definitely clay.

slov98
05-02-2004, 10:28 AM
run your hand thru the paint, if it`s smooth I wouldn`t do it unless you`re en enthusiast or you like detailing cars

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Run your hand thru the paint while aforementioned hand is in a sandwich bag, I`m pretty sure it won`t feel nearly as smooth. Then you may be motivated to clay. I just did it to my 1 year old car that felt smooth to my bare hand but once I got out my sandwich bag out it was a different story.

If the car is a daily driver I would do it. It doesn`t take long. I just did it and I feel so much better. :spot