PDA

View Full Version : First Try - Plan

henryp
05-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Just bought Miata 2001 SE. The previous owner kept it in pretty good shape, at least to my untrained eye. No obvious swirl marks. I`ve spent hours reading and think it`s maybe it`s starting to sinking in. Here my plan.

1. Wash & Dry

2. Clay

3. Wash & Dry

4. Polish - Not sure what to use. I don`t have a PC so I have to do by hand.

5. Wax (2 coats NXT)

Should I use the little foam pad that came with the NXT to apply it? It just seems so rough.

Also, is there a proper temperature it should be when applying polishes or waxes? It`s been between 40 - 60 degrees outside lately.

Any suggestions appreciated. Hate to screw things up my first time out.

Thanks,

Henry

General Lee
05-01-2004, 07:10 PM
I am a newbie, and have been experimenting with several products. You do have the right idea.

wash, clay, wash, polish (not sure what your local resources are but Meguires show car glaze or just meguires paint cleaner would be better than nothing). I would pick up some terry applicator pads instead of the foam they provide. If it comes with it they must feel its OK to use. But...... Experiment until you find what you like. Always work in the shade out of direct sunlight. 40-60 degrees should be fine but still work in the shade. Car surfaces heat up more than you think. Hope this helps a little.

shaf
05-03-2004, 09:23 PM
For polish, something mild would do if you just think it has very few or no swirls, although it`s possible that the car was detailed just prior to you buying it. A "paint cleanser" (several companies) would be very gentle, and even a swirl remover by hand isn`t very harsh.

If you want a more gentle feeling applicator, see if the typical packs of yellow wax applicators (Meguiar`s also usually) are any better.

jasonatv22
05-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Hey, other miata guy. Yeah, use a paint cleaner. An otc is Megiars ColorX. And then just one coat of NXT.

No need for a PC with your dinky ride. Heck, we don`t even have to polish the top. Just learn proper washing techniques ( http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-wash.html ) and don`t let anyone touch your paint and you shouldn`t need a PC.

Put the money from the PC into your turbo or supercharger fund.

My 11 year old beater:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/g/mgb1968/S100%20side%20view.jpg

:D