PDA

View Full Version : Dent or Unevened Clearcoat?

zey
05-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Hi guys, I really need your help to clarify this. My car is 4 months old and from the day I receive this new car, I haven`t really observed the car hood under low lighting condition (at least it looks perfect to me) until just now, when I was back home at night, unfortunately, I saw a very very minor dent (though minor, but it spoils the perfect reflection of the hood!) on the left side of the hood. I try to find whether it`s being hit by anything from the sky, but I don`t find any scratches/scuffs on the spot. I tried to run my fingers over the `dent`, but I hardly feel it!

Now, I`m wondering could it be due to dented hood or unevened clearcoat? Could it be due to bad usage of rotary buffer (by factory) and causing excessive clearcoat being removed on that spot? :nixweiss

It`s very hard to notice this during daytime, and I suspect that I haven`t been noticing it after getting the car for 4 months! Please help me as I`m quite depressed over this matter...:( Thanks...

tguil
05-01-2004, 02:03 PM
I doubt that it is just in the clearcoat. In almost every new vehicle that I have purchased there have been flaws in the metal from the factory -- usually stamping flaws or sheet metal damage done prior to painting. This is pretty darned common. You`ll find these dents at the darndest times. They are always quiet depressing to those of us who are perfectionists.

The dent might also have been caused by something that would not mar the paint but would leave a depression. I thought that I had a factory flaw in the fender of my new black Hemi that I didn`t notice for eight months. I almost convinced myself that it had to be from the factory. Then I remembered that at a coin operated carwash I had "wapped" the side of the truck with the hose (the hose not the wand). I put the dent in the truck then.

The sheet metal on today`s vehicles is mighty thin, especially on Japanese and Korean vehicles. It doesn`t take much to leave a dent. Of course these dents show up on black more than on some other colors. (Perfectionists can find them on ALL colors.)

I have been very pleased with what paintless dent removal techs can do on these dents. They can make them disappear like magic. However, if the dent is a stamping flaw, a PDR tech may not be able to get it out because the flaw is actually the imperfect shape of the sheet metal.

Good luck.

Tom :cool:

LouisanaJeeper
05-01-2004, 02:55 PM
my GT has about 4 "dents" in the sheetmetal...both front fenders, and both c pillars in the same spots on each side. They look like they are from some sort of welding imperfection on the other side or a mounting screw that barely touched the inner sheetmetal.

I would just live with it.

Pics would help