PDA

View Full Version : Fix-a-Flat Explosion

adam34
04-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Hey, gang. I figured if anyone would know how to help with my situation, it would probably be the members of Autopia.

Monday afternoon when I got off work, I noticed a strange smell in my car. I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw what looked like either a cracked or even melted rear windshield. When I stopped to check it out, I realized the can of Fix-a-Flat in my trunk had exploded sometime during the day, ripping my nylon emergency gear bag in half, and coating my interior with a sticky, green goo.

The first thing that annoyed me is that I live in the East Bay, CA and it was only around 85 degrees that day. This stuff has been in my trunk for almost three years and it explodes after an 85-degree day? I`ll never trust any of these products again!

The second thing that was even more annoying was, of course, the clean-up. My window cleaner (1Z) seemed to do an OK job on the windshield, but it still wasn`t perfect. Porsche Tar and Bug helped to break it up a little, but trying to get anything off of the plastic interior was just downright brutal.

I reached for a can of Goo Gone to see if it could do the job, but it didn`t seem to help. Maybe I wasn`t using enough of it, or maybe there are just better solutions for what I`m trying to do.

Has anyone run into this problem before? I`d love to get all this gunk out of my trunk!

Here are some pictures of the event. (http://adam.oaklog.com/images/2004-04-26/)

Scott P
04-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Wow...Maybe three years of varyiong heat weakened the can just enough.

topnotchtouch
04-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Have you tried calling the manufacturer and asking for their suggestions on what to use to remove it.

shaf
04-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Yeah I would try that first...

Thanks for the vote in confidence for Autopia, but as far as I know, no one`s had this happen to them before!

Lighter fluid is another glass cleaner you could try. I`d use caution with stuff stronger than Goo Gone on the interior plastic though, as I`m sure some solvents will dissolve it. Test first in an inconspicuous spot I guess. Good luck!

DaGonz
04-30-2004, 10:51 PM
It appears that your car is either black or a dark blue color. Dark colors absorb heat, so it may have been an 85 degree day, but the temperatures inside of the trunk could have risen to 150 to 180 degrees or more...

Putting on the "hazmat tech hat" for a moment...

Most spray cans use propane or butane as a propellant. Propane and butane are highly flammable gasses. As the temperature increases, so does the pressure in the container. When the container can no longer handle the pressure, it will rupture. You stated that you have had this can of "fix a flat" in the trunk for more than three years. Constant temperature fluctuations were a kinetic stressor to the metal composition of the can, and it appears that it ruptured at a weak point...the top of the can.

I would try Meguiar`s Citri-Gel (from their detailer line) or Simple Green to tryand remove the residue.

adam34
05-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the follow-ups. Calling the company, they suggested the following:

Windshield - Soft Scrub Bathroom Cleanser and a soft sponge

Interior - Soft brush, a de-greaser and soapy water

Carpet - Resolve or any other carpet cleaner

As for your reply, Gonzo, that does make sense. I guess my concern is that they should realize how hot a car can get and work around it, possibly by using a different container. Where else is one supposed to put a can of that stuff if not in his car? I`d keep it at home, but that hardly solves the problem of a flat tire on the road. :-)

Thanks again. I`m going to try to get the last of it off Tuesday night.