PDA

View Full Version : My first PC Detail, Please review my plan.

tkajeff
04-30-2004, 10:10 AM
I just got my PC model number 7424, and it came with a yellow pad, while pad, and a black pad. I also got the 6’ Velcro backing plate. Okay, short story on the car, my buddy has a 1987 Honda Prelude that was repainted the same factory color red about 2 years ago. The paint has some deep scratches and major swirls and some oxidation. Here is our plan:

1. Wash with Blue Dawn.

2. Clay with Lubrication

3. 3m Rubbing Compound PN#(39002) with PC (Which pad should I use)?

4. 3m Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Cars (Which pad should I use)?

5. Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #7 (Which pad should I use)?

6. Do I need to rewash after the glaze?

7. NXT

Also, does anyone know where I can buy the 6’ counterweight for the PC. As I understand it I may need it, if I experience vibrations with the 5’ counterweight.

Thanks in advance.

:up

Red Wolf
04-30-2004, 11:01 AM
you can get the 6" counter wieght from CMA/proper autocare.

SK2003TypeS
04-30-2004, 11:11 AM
my votes:

3M RC - cutting pad

3M SMR - polisihg pad

#7 - finishing pad

no need to wash after #7. Might want to read thepost on #7 (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23740) in the Hall of fame.

Might want to apply it by hand.

tkajeff
04-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Red Wolf

you can get the 6" counter wieght from CMA/proper autocare.

Red Wolf,

Thank you for that info, I will look into it.

tkajeff
04-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

my votes:

3M RC - cutting pad

3M SMR - polisihg pad

#7 - finishing pad

no need to wash after #7. Might want to read thepost on #7 (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23740) in the Hall of fame.

Might want to apply it by hand.

Sk2003TypeS,

I read the post regarding #7 and I do not think I should use this product for the application because this car I am doing is not a show car(I know the bottle says Show Car Glaze rookie mistake). Can you recommend something else that I can buy at my local auto parts store that I can replace that step with? Thanks again.

Red Wolf
04-30-2004, 12:56 PM
you can use #7 on this car, its kind of different to apply,but the post explains it.

All in all you picked a good set of products. Not sure about the rubbing compound,since I haven`t used it

SK2003TypeS
04-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Just because it says "Show car glaze" doesn`t mean you have to use it only on show cars. A bunch of people here use it on daily drivers. Maybe try using #7 on one section of the car (like a quarter panel) to see how you like it. If you don`t feel comfortable with #7, then you can just skip it and go to the NXT.

hondaguy2582
04-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Once you run out of that #7, try #81 hand polish. Much easier to apply.

LouisanaJeeper
04-30-2004, 01:25 PM
1. Wash with Blue Dawn. (not necessary, you can just use car wash)

2. Clay with Lubrication OK

3. 3m Rubbing Compound PN#(39002) with PC (Which pad should I use)?

yellow or white, high speed, depending on paint codition

4. 3m Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Cars (Which pad should I use)?

white, med-high speed

5. Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #7 (Which pad should I use)?

white or black, slow speed

6. Do I need to rewash after the glaze?

no, but you may want to wash or just rinse off after claying

7. NXT

black pad, slow speed

Stl_GT
04-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Looks like a good plan, the one thing I might add is a paintwork cleaner like p21s. Using an abrasive sometimes leaves a haze, espcially on darker cars. I have found the paintwork cleaner to work very well as a final prep before the wax. In your case I would lay down a layer with a white pad in between SMR and the glaze.

One last thing. For the lubrication, mix up a spray bottle of 16:1 water / car shampoo. I used QD the first time, while there really isn`t anything wrong with it. It is just a waste of rather expensive QD.

Have FUN!

tkajeff
04-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Stl_GT

Looks like a good plan, the one thing I might add is a paintwork cleaner like p21s. Using an abrasive sometimes leaves a haze, espcially on darker cars. I have found the paintwork cleaner to work very well as a final prep before the wax. In your case I would lay down a layer with a white pad in between SMR and the glaze.

One last thing. For the lubrication, mix up a spray bottle of 16:1 water / car shampoo. I used QD the first time, while there really isn`t anything wrong with it. It is just a waste of rather expensive QD.

Have FUN!

Stl_GT,

Thanks for the advise regarding paint cleaner. The only thing about p21s is that I cannot buy that stuff locally, and I am doing the detail tomorrow. Can you think of any other products I can get "over the counter".

Oh, yeah about the clay bar, and lub whenever I clay my car, I use a mixture of car shampoo and water, I have never used DQ.

LouisanaJeeper
04-30-2004, 08:11 PM
the paint cleaner will not be necessary if you are using the swirl mark remover