PDA

View Full Version : oxidation

Jcrawford
04-29-2004, 01:43 PM
i`ve dealt w/ tons of swirls but all the cars i`ve polished have been in relatively good paint condition. my grandparents car however is severely oxidized. never seen a coat of wax in it`s life. so what products deal w/ oxidation?? i could go abrasive (DACP, 1z UP, PP) or could go chemical (AIO). which is better suited. is oxidation a layer that has to be abrasively removed or does it just need to be cleaned. any tips would help. thanks, Joel

EBPcivicsi
04-29-2004, 01:48 PM
I would go with AIO or meguiars MPPC. I prefer the chemical removal when dealing with oxidation.

UPC also works great on oxidation, as does PB SSR2.

Turbonator
04-29-2004, 02:25 PM
hey joel, if the oxidation is severe you may need to use a wool pad with the ultra polish. first you could try UP with the yellow cutting pad though. if that doesn`t do it, remember i`ve got the stronger stuff from 1z that`s only available to detailers and in europe now. i know it will work.

imported_ajbarnes
04-29-2004, 07:02 PM
AIO and a MF pad has worked great for me on oxidation.:up

thinksnow
04-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Severe oxidation is actually quite fun to deal with. Maximum results with minimum time. AIO with MF is the way to be--go AJ, it`s ya birthday...

Jcrawford
04-30-2004, 07:38 AM
so the consensus is AIO for oxidation?? what about w/ the PC? white or yellow pad?

thinksnow
04-30-2004, 07:47 AM
You shouldn`t need a cutting pad--stay with a polishing pad and get ready for paint transfer.

Jcrawford
04-30-2004, 01:50 PM
removing oxidation is a mess eh?

jasonatv22
04-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Take pictures before and after, please.

You could always just fill it with paint cans and burn it. ;)

shaf
04-30-2004, 08:44 PM
You could do it either way I think. AIO might be too mild without a PC and a cutting pad (which is what Jngr used) if the oxidation is deeper, requiring more paint removal. Traditionally you`d use a moderate strength polish (depending on how bad it is) to deal with oxidation since you just abrade away the dead paint.

I still have to look into this matter, but I am not sure about "chemically" removing oxidation with stuff like AIO. I just don`t understand how it works. :nixweiss

Jcrawford
04-30-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

You could do it either way I think. AIO might be too mild without a PC and a cutting pad (which is what Jngr used) if the oxidation is deeper, requiring more paint removal. Traditionally you`d use a moderate strength polish (depending on how bad it is) to deal with oxidation since you just abrade away the dead paint.

I still have to look into this matter, but I am not sure about "chemically" removing oxidation with stuff like AIO. I just don`t understand how it works. :nixweiss

neither do i

a.k.a. Patrick
05-02-2004, 10:09 AM
I did a side by side comparison yesterday on a red 91 Toy pickup. This surface was shot, you know, that typical neglected Toyota red. I first tried ColorX. Lots of transfer to the MF towel, left a beautiful shine.....Then tried AIO, same results. No pics of this demo, nor the 00 Expedition i did...Maybe I will go back tday for pics ???