PDA

View Full Version : #82 heart attack

Jesstzn
04-28-2004, 10:04 PM
I near had a heart attack today .. Some how I inherited a fine scratch in my trunk and the VW paint is very hard .. I tried Menzerna FP then IP with little luck so I moved on to DACP and a yellow pad on 5.5. It pulled the scratch ok but left a little *common* DACP/Yellpw pad hazing. Welllll from a few $$ I made on a detailing I bought #82 so I thought I would give it a try.

I used a white pad on 5 and did 1/2 the trunk and wiped it down dry.. haze mostly gone .. so I hit it again and after I spritzed it with IA/H2O and wiped it off ..

Right where I was working the scratch I saw a duller area about 1" x 8" and I figured "awe crap" I went through the clear. The trunk has been worked over a few times.

I finished off the other side and spritzed .. another odd streak ..

Turns out #82 must have oils or fillers .. the streak was that actual squirt area where the spritz hit directly.

I wasn`t getting color on the cloth with IA nor with a little cleaner wax I tried on the spot. So I was a little confused as to what the streak was.

I AIO`d and walla .. streak gone. It appears #82 has oils or fillers and the streak was where the AI/H2O made the direct hit and lifted them.

I went in the house .. changed my diaper and finished off with SG.

BTW .. this was my first try with #82 and to me it was 1/2 way between Menzerna IP & FP used on a white pad.

GoodnClean
04-28-2004, 10:13 PM
#82 is Swirl Free Polish? Yep it has fillers ;) So does DACP though...

Mike_Phillips
04-28-2004, 11:19 PM
These so-called fillers are also very important for lubricating the surface while the diminishing abrasives are abrading the surface. Without them, your finish would look scoured.

Pretty good trade off if your goal is a swirl-free, high gloss finish. They also darken the paint and increase reflectivity.

Mike

Gonzo
04-29-2004, 08:03 AM
I have used FP as a final polish step ever since I got bit with the detailing bug. As it contains only abrasive and water, I believe it will pull out and fillers/oils left behind by previous polishes. Since I`m a Klasse fiend right now, AIO will totally remove any residual FP and anything the AIO missed. I just love theway FP burnishes the paint.....