PDA

View Full Version : Reccomended Products?

Scotty
04-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Starting to detail a bit here and there, and I`m using basically all macquires products

body wash

deep crystal system

trim dressing

tire dressing

vinyl cleaner

etc etc

Would this stuff be adequate or what would you reccomend? What`s your entire routine? Thanks to all :cool:

scottabir
04-29-2004, 06:11 AM
I think for someone starting out you have a good selection of products. Are you doing this for money or just detailing here and there on your own car?

My routine varies with the car that I am detailing-I usually start with the interior (except windows) and then the exterior then finish with the windows inside and out. That is about as basic of a routine as I can give ya, sorry.

jasonatv22
04-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Sounds like you have a good plan.

However, most important thing in proper car care is to stop scratching your car when washing. Dave B`s words on it http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-wash.html

Have fun.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Scotty, thats a goof beginner kit. When your happy with that, its time to take the next step. One thing i think folks misunderstand, is they often expect miracles from every product on the shelf. They make a purchase, and often say to themselves, "but i thought it would yield better results." Maybe its there technique? Maybe they misunderstand the products entire capability. One thing i have learned in the yrs ive been detailing is, you need to understand the products characteristics. Every product has a "learning curve", its up to the user to figure it out, i dont care how clear and explicit the instructions are....

And that doesnt happen with one time, maybe a 1/2 a bottle and your close. The second time you use the products, chances are the end results are slightly different, usually better.

Scotty, i would go thru those products you have, you will find with each detail, your efforts are better rewarded. Youll begin to understand what the products can, and cant do for you, this is the "curve" im speaking of.......Happy detailing......

Scotty
04-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

I`m doing it for money on the side. I have like 6 jobs, but I`m quitting one and starting to detail. I`m only 17 and have had a good responce so far. About 1 a week so far and I just started 3 weeks ago. I`m the only person in the town. Which is okay with me considering it`s a population of about 1500, but 5000 with surrouding areas. So, any advice for starting would be much appreciated...Thanks

scottabir
04-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Patrick offered some really good advice. One thing to add is you might want to consider purchasing a polish with a little more bite to it. You would be amazed at some of the situations you run into when doing others cars ( ask Patrick about a friends daughter with a scotch brite pad + black car ;)

C_Rock77
04-30-2004, 03:51 PM
As for the Car Shampoo...I`d suggest Meguiars Gold Class or NXT.

I`m not real fond of the Meguiars Deep Crystal 3-step process products. The principle behind them is sound, it`s just that there are some better products to use in their place.

Klasse All In One is one of the most useful products I have in my arsenal. You might want to look into it.

Meguiars #39, I think, is one of the widest accepted vinyl cleaners. It comes in the beige bottles, and can be difficult to find at times.

Vinyl Trim Dressing: Find something that doesn`t contain petroleum distillates. 303 Aerospace is a really good one. I hear 4-Star makes a good one. I just got it, and plan to see how I like it very soon.

Tire Dressing: You could use your Vinyl Trim Dressing here, or go with something with more shine. Meguiars Gold Class High Endurance gives a nice shine, but it tends to attract dirt. STAY AWAY from things with Petroleum distillates. They`ll turn the tires brown.

Quik Detailer: By ALL means....find a good one. I`m not sure what a good one off the shelf would be. Maybe some of these guys could enlighten us.

Microfiber Towels: You can never have too many. I use different types (Waffle Weave and Soft Touch) for many different things. Waffle Weave for drying the car and cleaning Glass. Soft Touch for buffing off products. They help you to not scratch the paint when drying, etc.

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH

SuperShine
04-30-2004, 04:04 PM
I started off with Meguiar`s (Simply because of a good reputation, a full line, and I just didn`t know about much else). After I learned what I was doing, I tried `em all, looking for the "perfect fit" A lot of good products out there, and it`s fun to switch up. That being said, Wolfgang is now my basic (for a gentle polish and the Deep Gloss PS) for a few reasons. #1 is the visual results--knockout shine! Very impressive to the customer. #2 It is SO easy, I found myself finishing up jobs MUCH quicker (with better results), #3 It goes a long way, meaning more money I keep in my pocket at the end. The WG Instant Detail Spray (the improved version!) is also good. But, everyone has a different idea....