PDA

View Full Version : zaino user open to other suggestions (need depth)

Pages : [1] 2 3

havabooz
04-28-2004, 05:35 PM
ive been reading a bunch of threads on this site and i am beginning to figure out the differences between polishes, waxes and sealants

anyhow ive been detailing my car ever since i got it from the showroom..i started out a bit improperly but those methods didnt last long enough to damage anything

my car just basically got repainted (for the most part) because i had a body kit installed, so i felt like i could start from scratch

so i dawned my car claybarred, washed , z5, z2

needless to say the paint feels amazing and its smooth as glass...there are no swirl marks (its basically a brand new car) but one or two LIGHT scratches

my corcern really isnt about the scratches right now rather about getting the `deep` look

i just realized that my paint can be very reflective, clean and smooth but at the same time not be deep...zaino is def a good product and i like the fact that its safe for the paint and it holds up pretty well...

after that seemingly unneccessary intro:) i am looking for products that i can top zaino off with to get the deep wet look

i have a Z in silverstone (darkish silver) and although its tough to get silver to be deep i know there is more potential here..when giving suggestions please indicate what category the product falls under (sealant, wax etc..)

Scottwax
04-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Honestly, if you want to top Zaino, you may be better off just going with other products completely so you don`t have to strip your topper when you want to add another layer of Zaino. Maybe regular Zaino users who use toppers will comment.

If you want to use a sealant that has a very wet look, I have been getting outstanding results using Poorboy`s EX-P Sealant. It also seems compatible with the various polishes and glazes I use. If you are looking for more of a `system`, then I would suggest trying the Wolfgang line. Very easy to use, no mixing to quicking curing times and a very nice, deep, almost carnauba look to it.

ZaneO
04-28-2004, 05:53 PM
I have switched from Zaino to the Wolfgang twins, and I am very impressed at the extra depth.

Check out page one of my gallery for WG pics: http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=14601&cat=500&thumb=1

havabooz
04-28-2004, 06:04 PM
does that mean there is nothing you can use in conjunction with zaino...meaning zaino,other product,zaino etc..

and when you say wolfgang twins im assuming you mean the pre-wax polish and the wax

isnt the pre-wax polish somewhat abrasive...since i have another thread going about a detailing business im confused about what "polishes" really are

all i know is that zaino z5 and z2 are not abrasive at all and are safe to multi-coat whenever you want( although z5 is sort of a polish and i dont use it as much as z2)..i detail my car almost once a week so im guessing i would never wanna use anything abrasive unless i needed it..

is the first child of the wolfgang twins like a z5 or are there no products that can compare to zaino (for comparison sake)

which polishes are the ones that fix swirls and are rubbed out as opposed to applied and let sit

Scottwax
04-28-2004, 06:31 PM
First off, don`t obsess about abrasives. There are may cases when you do need to abrade the surface of the paint to remove (instead of fill in) imperfections. Besides, the WG pre-cleaner is extremely mild, more of an AIO-like chemical cleaner than anything else. Second, don`t obsess about layering either. If the product works with just one or two thin coats, be happy. Less product used and more time to do other things.

I`ve had the WG twins on a few cars going on 6-7 weeks now and they all are still decently slick and look great. Very strong beading action too.

Nick T.
04-28-2004, 06:41 PM
IMO topping Zaino with carnauba isn’t a problem. Wash with your favorite car shampoo and add a layer of carnauba. If you want to add more Zaino, then wash with mild Dawn solution and you’re back down to the bare Zaino and ready for a few more layers of Z.

ZaneO
04-28-2004, 07:25 PM
First off, don`t try to compare everything to the Zaino system.

If you are using quality products, there is no reason for full details every week. Just wash and QD each week, and you should only need a full detail a couple of times a year.

ALL cars that are driven daily will need an abrasive product at some point...your car is no different.

imported_10degreesbtdc
04-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Your silverstone Z is the same as my diamond graphite G35c. Good taste, my friend!

I prefer z5 to z2 on the "darker" colors (silverstone/DG included) as IMO it imparts a slightly deeper look without any noticeable loss of clarity or reflectivity.

Nonetheless, I`ve been topping the Z5 with S100 (carnauba paste) and am VERY pleased with the results on this color. The metallic really pops w/this combo and the S100 is on and off as easy as the Zaino. It`s a terrific product and for $15 an excellent value, too.

The only downside is that you`ll have to remove or wait for the S100 to wear down to apply additional coats of Zaino. I`ve been using Z7 wash with no apparent ill effects.

I actually used z6 today (despite the S100 topper being just a couple of weeks old) and it looked great. Dunno whether the z6 is gonna blow off in the wind, or whether it took off the S100, etc, but it`s fun to experiment. If anyone knows the likely answer to z6 atop a carnauba topper, please chime in!

BTW, the biggest PITA about this color is that contact/rubbing with the paint produces DARK scratches, or at least the transfer of something dark. My wife/daughter manage to skim it when they walk past in the garage. The marks almost look like grease pencil (weird). FYI, claybar takes `em off no problem (washing won`t) for when you get `em :)

Good luck!

edited to add: Ideally I`d like the Z+S100 look without having to strip the topper to apply more coats of Z. When my supply runs out I might give the EX-P or WG a whirl. I have too much product to justify buying something entirely different @ this point.

I did try NXT as it`s relatively inexpensive and was underwhelmed with the look on this color. I`d not consider that an alternative for this specific paint color. Looked nice on Acura black but only lasted a month. I posted my results on the Z/Z+S100/NXT experiment about a month ago with an update just yesterday or the day before.

havabooz
04-28-2004, 08:08 PM
thanks acmdx..that clarifies the situation...the diamond graphine G is a bit darker than silverstone (perfect color imo)...i guess ill just stick with the zaino only....i know the car doesnt NEED z2 every weekend...but i have the time and it cant hurt plus i like doing it...

as far as your idea about Z5...the zaino rep that i buy from explained that i should stop using the z5 when i realize that its not enhancing the car any more...the z2 on the other hand has no limit...there are ppl on the Z forum with over 75 coats of zaino...i gotta catch up :D

imported_10degreesbtdc
04-28-2004, 08:21 PM
The silverstone and diamond graphite are the same paint codes: WV2. Perfect color? Yes ;) I admit I do miss the ol` black Lexus, but it`s nice to have a car look clean even when it isn`t.

There`s a point of diminishing returns with any product you layer. I`ve found that occurs somewhere between coat 7 and 10 for Zaino (assuming you`re piling it on repeatedly with z6 between coats over the course of a couple of weeks).

The primary difference betw z5 and z2 is that z5 presumably contains some fillers for minor swirls/marring. Over the past 2 or 3 years of using Zaino I have found that filling attribute quite ineffective (that`s being generous...if I were in a bad mood I`d say it`s totally absent). But whatever filling properties are designed into z5 (weak as they may be) in my experience the z5 imparts a slightly deeper finish than z2, especially on metallic paints (the z2 alone looks horrible on Acura`s black metallic, for example).

But IMO there is no reason you can`t layer z5 as much as you would z2. I know the official Zaino mantra is to have the "final" coat z2 for its near-perfect optical clarity, but that is entirely unneccessary on a darker car and, in fact, might look worse than if z5 is left as the final coat. IME and YMMV of course.

Try it out for yourself w/z5 as the final (with z6 finish) and then the z2 as a final (with z6) and let us know which looks best.

But insofar as layering, there is no difference in the number of coats of z5 or z2 you can apply. Now, whether there are really 75 coats of anything on the car...that`s a different discussion ;)

ZaneO
04-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by havabooz

...the zaino rep that i buy from explained that i should stop using the z5 when i realize that its not enhancing the car any more...the z2 on the other hand has no limit...there are ppl on the Z forum with over 75 coats of zaino...i gotta catch up :D

That`s just plain wrong. There is no reason to stop using Z5 and switch to Z2, unless it is your personal preference. There is also NO reason to have 75 coats of any product. You can get the look and durability out of a few coats. All it does is waste product...like throwing money out of a car window.

Stop living by your Zaino "rep`s" advice. You`ll be much happier and richer. Spend your detail time on the little details that really make a difference and not layering/wasting product.

You should really not be brainwashed by the Zaino Zealot car forums. The knowledge here expands beyond one product and will help your car look better than you could ever have imagined.

havabooz
04-28-2004, 08:34 PM
well...im usually over at my350z.com...and there is a guy over there Dr bonz and he had a pic of his z with a "50th layer" sign ...and thas was months ago...

actually..i have seen my car with just Z5 and then the next week with Z2...the z5 week was a very clean look but no reflection really....the next week i applied z2 and it had a wettish look ...so i guess the no reflection factor of the z5 makes it look darker??

havabooz
04-28-2004, 08:36 PM
i know there is no reason to keep applying the stuff...and if i start doing other ppls cars it will leave less time for mine and that might be a good thing

Nick T.
04-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Caveat emptor! Do NOT believe what you read on message boards - - especially opinions that I have posted!

Experiment! If you experiment with different products and techniques you will know for certain what works best for you on your paint!

If you’re going to learn about Zaino, then select three adjacent areas - - like left, center, and right sides of the hood - - and then divide this into front and rear.

Left side, front & rear: 3 to 5 layers of Z-2.

Center, front & rear: 3 to 5 layers of Z-5.

Right side, front & rear: 3-5 layers alternating Z-2 and Z-5.

On the front of all three areas add as many layers of the appropriate product as you desire.

See for yourself which area is the most pleasing to your eye - - and now you will be the Zaino guru, and you can just smile to yourself when you read all the posts from the other experts.

havabooz
04-28-2004, 09:29 PM
not a bad idea...a while ago when i had a CF hood on (off now) i wanted to do the "hood test" on my stock hood except with 2 diff products...never got around to it

i guess when my zaino supply runs out and im not happy ill consider the switch..but for now your idea sounds pretty good...

the thing about my Z is that it has very decieving body lines (especially with my new kit on) and the dark silver color reflects light in many diff ways...i guess the hood is the best body part to try the "test" on

will advise on how it goes