PDA

View Full Version : How to distill water?

AutoNova
04-28-2004, 11:26 AM
I just ordered a new mobile rig with a 100 gallon water tank. Do any of you know of a product or additive that I can put in the water to distill it and keep it from spotting?

DETAILKING
04-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Better off with additives. You can purchase distilled water, but it will cost you. To distille it, you need to boil it and then condense the vapors into another container. After all the water boils away, the crap that was dissolved in it is left behind. This is impractical for the average person!!!

AutoNova
04-28-2004, 11:53 AM
What are some additives I can use?

Hugh2
04-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by AutoNova

What are some additives I can use?

Do a net search for "reduce water surface tension" "rinse additives" etc.

or head down to the grocery store and buy a dishwasher spot reducing rinse-aid product (not the detergent) and see if that works at all.

Reverse Osmosis water purifying systems remove the minerals from water so maybe hunting out a commercial system somewhere might be rewarding.

Volvolove
04-28-2004, 08:34 PM
not sure exactly what you want this all for ... but distilled water is simply pure H2O ... no minerals or chemicals. I`m not sure how an additive will help you remove all of those minerals/chemicals found in reg. drinking water. I agree w/ the commercial systems though .. they may be your best bet.

AutoNova
04-28-2004, 08:38 PM
When it comes to fleet detailing you have to have rinse water that is spot-free so you can avoid having to dry cars to keep up the volume. I have had other detailers say they use jet dry and there isn`t any chance I can afford a commercal system. That is why I am looking at options. I did find several ideas when i searched rinse additives.