PDA

View Full Version : FIRST Detail this Weekend - What polish to use?

ZCarGuy
04-28-2004, 09:16 AM
I am attempting my first detail with my PC this weekend. I am not new to detailing but I am new to using a PC and some new products.

Here is what I thought would work out well:

Meguiars #2 Fine Cut Cleaner

Polish - Show Car Glaze or Maching Glaze (ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?) I really want an awesome shine!

Topped with NXT

Will a little or non-abrasive polish be OK to use after the more abrasive #2? Please recommend one that will give me a great shine, clarity, and depth.

Am I missing any steps otehr than washign and possibly claying?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! It is great to eb able to get this information froma ll of you guys!

Regards,

-Ryan

It is hard to tell my surface condition but it isnt that bad, just some swirls and a few light scratches.

JoshABI
04-28-2004, 09:27 AM
#2 is some pretty heavy-duty stuff. Do you have a lot of swirls/marring that you are trying to eliminate? I think you could start with a much milder product and still have great success. What is the condition of your paint?

If you don`t have major issues that you are trying to correct, you could start with #9, or even #82 with your PC. These will both be a great polish by PC and won`t be overkill like the #2 might be. I would recommend the #3 Machine Glaze as a 2nd step..I have always had great luck with that product and would use it over #7 on a PC any day.

Then you can top with NXT easily enough. It took me a minute or two to get used to working with NXT as it was a touch thicker than I expected it to be, but such is the way with any new product. Let us know what the condition of your paint is, the only thing I am worried about is getting too aggressive with the #2..it is a pretty serious compound.

JoshABI
04-28-2004, 09:31 AM
LOL..nevermind. I am looking at the pic you posted. Just by your description and the picture, I would stay away from #2. It`s a lot more aggressive than I think you would need.

If you interested in staying with Meguiar`s, I would suggest either #9 Swirl-Mark Remover or #82 Swirl-Free Polish. Then follow up with #3 Machine Glaze, and top with NXT. Others here will have other product suggestions, but I think I`m safe saying that #2 is a bit much.

ZCarGuy
04-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks, so then maybe this would be alot better because I don`t have any major paint defects other than a few swirls:

Machine Glaze or Other

NXT

Are there any other polishes or glazes that would be recommended? I like Meguiars but I know there are alot of other products out there too so I am open to any suggestions!

I agree that #2 may be a little too harsh.

THANKS!

-Ryan

ZCarGuy
04-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Any other recommendations from some light cleaning, a polish, and a wax?

What about Klasse or P21S?

THANKS!

-Ryan

JoshABI
04-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Klasse is a very nice cleaner, but will not do much for you in terms of getting rid of swirls or other paint defects. And P21s is a very nice wax, but I would get a tub of S100. Same stuff, just advertised for motorcycles and quite a bit cheaper. Should be able to find that at any Harley shop. If you`re going to pick up the S100, you might also want to check out the S100 Shine-Enhancing Cleaner. It`s a very mild polish/glaze that would fit as a nice final step before adding the wax. Really warms the paint up for S100/P21s

shaf
04-30-2004, 02:20 AM
I hate to say this, but pictures can be highly deceiving and horribly unreliable. I would be very hesitant to make any specific, 100% sure recommendation based purely on a photo. It always comes down to the in-person assessment.

Please see my suggestion at the end of your other thread, and good luck: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36791