PDA

View Full Version : Rally Blue WRX (recomendations?)

jefmcc
04-27-2004, 11:44 PM
Hello,

I`m new to the forum and I`m looking for advise and or opinions. I`ve read all the "learn" sections more than twice, now I want some real world opinions from the experts.

I have a new `04 WRX with less than 1000 miles on it. I guess the dealer did an OK job with shining it up and all, but it could be better. I want my baby to shine like it should!

I`m thinking Pearls shampoo, Klasse AIO and a good carnauba wax. Maybe clay it too.

Before I drop the cash on a PC, I have a dumb question about how it is used. Is the PC used just for applying? Or is it used for buffing too?

So, are there any other WRX/STI owners here that could get me going in the right direction with some product recomendations?

2wheelsx2
04-28-2004, 12:41 AM
I have an 04 WRX in aspen white. I used Klass AIO/SG on it and it works well for me. But for the WRB, it may not be as good a combo as AIO/carnauba (like S100). That`s a very popular combo here. Another combo you should consider is AIO/UPP.

I cannot speak on the Z topic, as I have not used it. But if the dealer did not do a great prep, you might also want to polish before to make sure you get any swirls and imperfections out. Download the ebook, read it, and then make your decisions.

As for the PC, I use it only for polishing. I apply all products for sealing by hand, even the AIO. Many here, however, use it for all steps. Do some searching around, and you`ll see what people have been using and how they apply it.

6cyl's_of_fury
04-28-2004, 04:14 AM
Get the PC for polishing and applying select products. Biffing is not something I would personally bother with as it is more time consuming than doing it by hand in my experience.

Assuming that the paint is swirl free, I would recommend GEPC then S100 ( the GEPC adds warmth and has minor swirl hiding abilituies as well ). This is my "deep wet" combo at the moment and I think would suit the WR blue nicely. Other than that, I would then say AIO, SG x 2 or 3, S100. More time consuming and not quite as deep as the GEPC/S100, but a fair bit more durable.

But note that the finish will only be as good as the base preperation will allow. Id recommend getting a PC if you need to do any kind of polishing. Its a wonderful weapon to have on hand!

randy98mtu
04-28-2004, 08:07 AM
I have a black 04 wagon. Currently I have gone over it with IP, AIO, SGx3, and P21Sx1. I plan to do a few more coats of P21S when the weather allows, then probably do that once a month or so and see how that does. Even with some dirt on it now I`m amazed to see the paint shining like mad under it all.

jefmcc
04-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I`ll wait on the PC for now. I`ve always enyoyed washing and waxing my previous cars, and the sense of satisfaction that comes with it.

I`m having the clear film installed in a few weeks, are the Klasse products safe to use over it? I have to have the film on this car. WRX is a scratch magnet.

There may be some spots with some light swirls, but really it`s not that bad. Does clay do anything for swirls? I swear it removed some water spots from my old car, but spots are different than swirls.

Accumulator
04-28-2004, 10:20 AM
jefmcc- Welcome to Autopia. I have a silver WRX wagon (well, for another few hours at least; It think I`m selling it this afternoon). Clay doesn`t remove swirls, it`s a nonabrasive process if you do it right. A good mild polish that works well on Subie clear is 3M`s PI-III MG ( pn 09537). It works OK by hand or PC. It will remove mild marring and is a good prep for the K twins.

With multiple layers of SG on it, my WRX could go nearly a year without needing *any* polishing if I washed it with some degree of care, but I hear the clear on the blue ones is softer than that on mine :nixweiss

Oh, and I used the AIO/SG on the exterior black plastic trim. Worked great and didn`t need redone all the time like ERV dressings.