PDA

View Full Version : So confused about MF and buffing.

imported_Yosemite Dan
04-27-2004, 09:58 PM
The only decent MF towels I could find in Toronto is the Meguirs Ultimate Wipe detailing cloth and I also found a MF drying towel by Simoniz. Now I`ve never used MF for buffing before(always used terry). The Meg`s towel is 14" by 14".

Now my question is are the Meg`s any good and how many do I need to complete an AIO and SG buffing? Is the drying towel any good for buffing or is it too thick. I`d go back to terry towels but after frequenting this board I`m scared to.

I bought those Microtex towels but there isn`t any pictures on the packaging showing them being used on the exterior so I guess they`ll be relegated to window detail.

I`m confused tell me what to use to buff?:nixweiss

turborave
04-28-2004, 09:23 AM
www.pakshak.com

:( i hope you can order them from canada!

Big Leegr
04-28-2004, 09:49 AM
The Cdn. Tire Microtex are the same as Wal-Mart`s 5/$4.87 mf`s (USA). Many people have said they worked fine on their paint. Others, not so much so. I think the Microtex are more plush than the Meg`s. Most seem to agree that, all things equal, plusher is better for wax removal.

Terry towels (100% cotton) have been used for years with good results. If you haven`t had any problems using them in the past, why should you now?

As to suppliers, just about every online detailing business sells some mf. I`ve tried a few. Some of the ones you may want to think about contacting would be Autopia, Pakshak, Poorboys, Autogeek and Premium Autocare. I think any of these will be a good choice. Some are cheaper at getting their product across the border than others, but you`ll have to decide that for yourself after contacting them. If you are already ordering other stuff from one of these vendors, just add some mf`s to the order. They don`t really add to the shipping cost, as they`re so light. I haven`t found any amazing store bought mf`s here. The $3 and $4 ones at Wal-Mart and Super Store aren`t bad for general purpose, but I`d have reservations using them on paint. They aren`t all that plush.

And finally, as to how many you`ll need, I seem to always need "one more," so get a few to have on hand. They`re versatile so it`s not like they can be used for only specific reasons.

Hope this helps.

Scott P
04-28-2004, 10:31 AM
I found a 25 pack of Microtex at BJs for 12.99 or so.

BillNorth
04-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Dan,

I just bought some MF`s from pakshak. His autopia prices are very good. He`s Canadian friendly when it comes to shipping as well. He is definately a good person to do business with.

I don`t have any experience with the MF`s you mentioned so I can`t comment.

If you don`t want to mail order, then continue to use high quality cotton towels for buffing. High quality = charisma cotton towels. You can get them locally from home outfitters. They`re a division of HBC. Don`t use the cheap 8 pack `cotton` towels from CT. Those will scratch.

As for how many towels I use. I use about 2 towels to buff AIO off my sedan, and 2 more to buff off the SG. So 4 in total. I`d buy more than that though. Just make one initial investment of 10 towels and a couple of waffle weaves for drying. That should cover you nicely.

Bill. :up

eShine
04-28-2004, 12:28 PM
*** Post edited for commercial content. ***

newf
04-28-2004, 01:13 PM
what about the yellow towels from Walmart. I think they are 5-6 bucks for 5? I`ve been using these for all my cars. And my car does not have any swirls.

now that I`m switching to zaino, I`m hoping they`ll be fine as well. They are not any good for drying though. More of a buffing towel.

imported_dpaulyn
04-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Yosemite Dan,

I`ve tried the Meguiars Ultimate Wipe detailing cloth - find it pretty terrible for just about anything. It has no pile at all, so I figured it would be good for glass. The worst result - first time I used the Meguiars cloth on my windshield I thought I had scratched it to pieces until I realized that this was microfibre lint all over the glass. After about a dozen washings still lints like crazy.

If you can find Turtle Wax microfibre in the automotive section of Zellers they are not too bad, but there are definitely better ones around - mostly online.

imported_Yosemite Dan
04-28-2004, 03:46 PM
I checked Pakshak and they actually offer free shipping to U.S. and Canada so I ordered a pack of 10 MF. Thanx to everybody for the info. I am now a happy camper. I hope my car appreciates this.

Bill if you`re interested www.eshine.ca is now offering Sonus QD at $18 a bottle (+ PST and GST of course. :angry)

BillNorth
04-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Yosemite Dan

I checked Pakshak and they actually offer free shipping to U.S. and Canada so I ordered a pack of 10 MF. Thanx to everybody for the info. I am now a happy camper. I hope my car appreciates this.

Bill if you`re interested www.eshine.ca is now offering Sonus QD at $18 a bottle (+ PST and GST of course. :angry)

Dan,

Check your PM`s. I did see the sonus on eshine today. I may pick some up at some point. It`s good to se it offered within Canada.

Bill :up

Jesstzn
04-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Dan if the Microtex are the 5 pack and white & Blue .. I use them on mine for exterior polishing with no problems at all .. rip the tags off and you will find them better than a cotton towel.

Like others have said Ranney at Pakshak is *very* CanaDUH friendly with the shipping and Autopia discount.

You haven`t dried with a towel till you dry with his big Waffle Weave

imported_Yosemite Dan
04-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Yikes! What Autopia discount? :confused: Did I just rip myself off. I never read the fine print.

imported_Yosemite Dan
04-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanx Bill I just read the PM. I sent a message to them hopefully I can still get the discount.